PDA

View Full Version : My little carnivore...

cara1
04-20-2003, 06:31 PM
DS (14 mos) used to be the best eater in the world. Other moms were jealous. There was NOTHING he wouldn't eat. Now, all he eats is chicken and turkey. He shuns most fruits and vegetables. The only reason he'll put down his chicken tender is to pick up carrot and smush it. Sometimes, I can sneak a veggie in his mouth if he opened it expecting chicken. If I mix veggies into a casserole, he just spits out the veggies. This is so unlike him. I know it's normal for babies his age to assert themselves and their independence with respect to food choices, but this is beginning to get annoying. Any ideas?

egoldber
04-20-2003, 06:41 PM
All babies go through phases like this. I would just continue to offer him balanced, nutritious meals and let him eat as he chooses. If you make a battle of it, it will likely only get worse. I know it's frustrating, but studies show again and again that children left to choose how much and what they eat eventually become adults who eat sensible meals and portions.

Hang in there! We've all been there!

flagger
04-20-2003, 10:17 PM
Yes it is very normal. It will get worse. As Beth said offer him a variety, but many kids go through various phases as they get older with their food choices.

From only eating grilled cheese for two weeks at lunch to only eating Orange food. I am of the opinion that it all comes out in the wash. Balanced doesn't necessarily mean the food pyramid on the plate every meal. I look at it over the long haul of several weeks.