PDA

View Full Version : Nursing Tops - Which colors hide leaks?

tiaz2088
04-21-2003, 10:15 AM
I'm a first time Mommy due 4/30 with a *baby girl* and was wondering which color tops hide leaking milk the best?

I know I have read this before, but of course now that it is time for me to start buying tops, I cannot recall what I read.

Thank you in advance!

Tia & *baby girl* edd 4/30

Momof3Labs
04-21-2003, 10:29 AM
Actually, I think that patterned tops tend to hide leaks the best, over solid colors.

That said, I wouldn't buy too many nursing tops now. You might find that your regular shirts work just as well - that's what I found. I have a couple of nursing tops that I like, but just haven't needed more than a few of them. And, it's hard to know which style top will work best for you until you actually put it to use!

Rachels
04-21-2003, 11:35 AM
I agree. I thought I would only wear nursing clothes, but I just didn't wind up liking them. I found that they didn't fit well and exposed more of my breast than regular t-shirts. I'd say buy one or two shirts and be sure you like them before you get more. As for hiding leaks, I found that nothing really does that. Good nursing pads are the most helpful thing! A button-down shirt can be helpful in concealing a wet t-shirt while you're out and about.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

parkersmama
04-21-2003, 12:42 PM
I agree with everyone else...patterns work the best but nothing really hides it. And, beware, breastmilk can cause some pretty stubborn stains! I think good breastpads are a MUST! Also will say that I agree about nursing tops/clothes...they aren't as convenient as they might seem. I mostly found them to be a pain in the rear and preferred lifting shirts from the waist or unbuttoning a shirt from the bottom up to facilitate nursing.

tiaz2088
04-21-2003, 02:04 PM
I'm not buying "nursing tops" per say. I bought 2 tops at Express this past weekend that are v-neck tanks but criss-cross in the front so I can have access to one breast at a time without having to lift up my entire shirt or wear button down shirts. I thought these would work extremely well for me.

I bought black, which is all I ever wear and thought I would be able to wear them even after I stop nursing. Express has a lot of colors and thought that I would buy more of these criss-cross tanks if the ones I bought worked out well.

Thanks for all your responses so far! I hope to get more suggestions.

Happy Monday!
Tia

lukkykatt
04-21-2003, 02:31 PM
I am also putting in my vote for skipping the nursing tops. I am now nursing my second son, and find regular clothes much more convenient.

So, I think that if you wear a regular shirt that does not have to be tucked in, and use nursing pads, you should be fine. I used to like to wear off-white shirts in the first few months because they did hide the spit up that I almost always ended up sporting! This was always a bigger problem for me than leaking.

parkersmama
04-21-2003, 03:29 PM
The only problem with the type of shirt that you are describing is that it will leave your entire breast exposed while you nurse. That's fine if you're at home but when you're in public you may want to plan on wearing another shirt (maybe a button-up type??) over the top or using a blanket to cover so that you're not totally exposed. Otherwise, the criss-cross shirts will probably work out great!

RiaHannam
04-22-2003, 12:55 PM
I love nursing tops. But I like to tuck my shirts in and I find them very convenient because of that - you don't have to untuck your shirt to nurse. I like the horizontal opening with 2 access points. But you probably only need a couple of them to supplement your regular wardrobe. I also have a Maya Wrap Sling which I plan on using a lot to nurse when out so that will cover anything up when needed.

MotherWear has a great selection but they are pricey. Motherhood Maternity has very low prices (some only $10!) on theirs - so I snagged a few there to start off with. Not sure of quality but for the summer I believe they will be fine.

As for colors - I just picked out a variety. Patterns probably hide leaks best but I went for solids in colors I like to wear. I'm a leaker so I always wear breastpads anyway.

Maria

EDD 5/9 w/#4!