PDA

View Full Version : Crackers?

Rachels
04-21-2003, 01:05 PM
Abigail is a major cracker-lover. She gets all excited when she sees a cracker box. What kind of crackers do you feed your babies? I have trouble finding something reasonably healthy that is also not as hard as a rock. She still has no teeth (at 11 months, sigh). She can eat a Saltine easily, but I don't love the idea of her having that much salt. What else?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

KathyO
04-21-2003, 01:29 PM
Do they sell salt-free saltines where you shop? I've also had success with melba toast - it's superficially hard, but breaks down very quickly as soon as the saliva hits it. There's also water crackers...

HTH,

KathyO

nigele
04-21-2003, 01:41 PM
I give Tom Low-Sodium Ritz Crackers. They break down quite easily. I, too, was weary of giving him too much salt.

mamahill
04-21-2003, 02:57 PM
Ainsleigh eats Ritz with whole wheat (I'm not really sure how much whole wheat is in them, but it makes me feel good!), and loves them! She also eats goldfish crackers. She also adores the biter biscuits, but they are messy!

newbelly2002
04-21-2003, 03:23 PM
What about zweiback (I think they sell those in the States.), especially the mini-size? Also, rice cakes are low in salt and easy on the gums. Dante only has one (well, half) of a tooth and he seems to handle both these with ease.

Paula, Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33a3c3de467

parkersmama
04-21-2003, 03:27 PM
We also do the low-salt or reduced-salt saltines. The melba toast works good, too. Even if she had teeth, I'd be careful with the harder crackers because they can bite off a chunk that isn't very soft and is a choking hazard.

brubeck
04-21-2003, 03:34 PM
Have you tried the Gerber Graduates Veggie Crackers? They're suprisingly nutritious. If they're too hard, just leave the bag open for a day or two. They get soft in a hurry! :-)

You could also try some cereal. Most of them are fortified and dissolve well in saliva! My daughter loves Cinnamon Life, and any kind of Cheerios I give her. She also likes Golden Grahams.

egoldber
04-21-2003, 04:09 PM
Sarah's favorite crackers are the Carr's Water crackers (like you serve with wine and cheese!).

nohomama
04-21-2003, 07:19 PM
Lola likes the Carr's crackers too. Stoned Wheat Crackers are another hit with her. My big thing is finding crackers without trans fats...just about impossible to do. She also adores pretzles and I either buy the Newman's Pretzle Rounds or the Synder's Mini Pretzles (for some reason every other shape and size of Snyder's pretzles has trans fats but the minis don't...go figure).

Tondi G
04-23-2003, 06:25 PM
Zweiback toasts, gerber graduates veggie crackers (Dh liked these as much as DS!), Gerber Graduates veggie wagon wheels, Low sodium saltines... that should do it!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

kapow
04-24-2003, 05:45 PM
What about low- or no-salt oyster crackers? I'm not recommending, I'm asking - they're small and round but soft like Saltines. Are they too small for an 11-month-old? My DH loves them, we have bags and bags.

brubeck
04-24-2003, 06:04 PM
My daughter loves these and started eating them at 8 months old when I got them with my soup at a restaurant one day.

They're similar to Goldfish which are manna from heaven for most crawlers/toddlers.