PDA

View Full Version : DS doesn't show interest in my food - Is this normal??

nigele
04-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Tom has never shown any interest in what I am eating or drinking. He is eating much, much better these days but I keep waiting for him to have a fit until I give him a taste of my food. So far, he hasn't even come close. I don't think I would have thought twice about this except that my friend's baby always wants what her Mom is eating and her ped says that is just what they want babies to do. What do you guys think??

blnony
04-23-2003, 02:58 PM
Something I've learned, every baby is different. I have friends with babies, and Audrey doesn't seem to be like them at all. I think Tom will just do things when he's ready to, or maybe he just doesn't have the same taste as you. :)
But, I don't think that its anything to worry about. If he is eating better and seems to be happy, I don't think you have anything to worry about, he will do things in his own time. I posted earlier about use of Sippy b/c I've actually been a little worried about Audrey's refusal of it, but now that I've really thought about it, she will just do things at her own pace.

Karenn
04-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Hi Lisa,
Colin only started really behaving this way in the last week. Since around 5 mos., he has reached for my food, but then, he always reaches for anything I have. It's only been the last few days that I've had to use "slight of hand" to convince him that the rice chex on his tray are the same as the ham that I'm eating. (I'd love to just be able to give him some of what I'm eating, but he's developing some food sensitivities so I'm being very cautious in what he eats.) Tom seems to always be just a few steps behind Colin in this eating thing- I'll bet he'll start demanding your food soon! :)

Rachels
04-23-2003, 04:08 PM
It's normal! Babies vary, and breastmilk or formula are all they need nutritionally in the first year. He'll get interested eventually. You do him a bigger favor by following his lead and helping him respect and acknowledge his own bodily cues. You're such a good mom!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mamahill
04-23-2003, 04:47 PM
Ainsleigh only wants to "touch" my food. Unless I put it front of her, she really couldn't care less about eating it, though. I try to show her, "See how much mommy likes this, here - you try," and she just looks at me like, "I don't think so." She watches me eat and drink, but she really doesn't want any of it. *sigh* How could a child of mine be this uninterested in food?!?! Guess that's why she's "petite."

brubeck
04-23-2003, 05:26 PM
Sigh.

You guys don't know how lucky you are! I have a hard time sneaking in a cookie without my toddler running up to me and asking for some. Now that I've convinced her that saying 'please' will get her what she wants it's harder than ever to refuse her when she uses the magic word. And eating pizza for lunch without sharing? Impossible! My husband has learned how to eat standing up because this is the only way he can remove himself from grasping hands asking for 'a little piece'. Just WAIT until you have toddlers! :-)

Edited to add:

Sarah, you may remember the start of this phase when she was grabbing for your ranch dressing at Applebee's! It was only the beginning.....

peterkin
04-24-2003, 09:28 AM
It's actually reassuring to hear that others have "light eaters" too ... my DD has always been a light eater (breastmilk/formula) and doesn't seem very interested in solids ... at 7 months, eats maybe 25 oz of formula per day and, at the most, 2-4T. of solids. Just started solids at 6 months as she wasn't interested. She *is* interested in grabbing my utensils, food, etc, but only because she wants to play! I am always worrying that she isn't eating enough, especially as I watch my friends' babies wolf down jars of baby food or whatever. But like you have all said, I keep telling myself she will work at her own pace. I don't know where any child of ours gets *undereating* either! Except I joke that she must have my metabolism, eating a little, gaining a lot (she's always been in the 40-50th percentile so far). I keep trying the solids & so far, it's much more work cleaning up for the amount she eats. But I guess I worry sometimes that she won't be exposed to all the different textures by 9 months (they say the best "window" for exposing them to new things?). Anyway, I think it sounds like your DS is normal, like there are more babies out there like ours than we are realizing! I wish more pediatricians knew this ...