PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need nursing bra recommendations for petite mom!

dueinmay
04-23-2003, 09:58 PM
Time is running out and I'm so frustrated! I'm 5'0" and having trouble finding a bra that fits my overall proportions. I can find the right band and cup (about a 38B now, I imagine a C once I'm nursing). But the overall size of the bra is just too big for my body. Just tonight I received the Bravado bra I ordered and was very excited -- but it doesn't fit right. I can't adjust the straps to a short enough length, and the fabric bunches up next to my arms . . . Does anyone know of a brand that would fit better with my proportions (shorter distance from top of shoulder to bottom of bra, etc. -- does that make sense?)?

Thanks SO much for any help!! :)

Rebecca
#1 due 5-13-03

ginalc
04-23-2003, 10:20 PM
When my bras don't fit right, I get out my sewing machine. Maybe once you find a bra that fits well, you can have a professional seamstress modify it for you. They usually aren't very expensive.

With my first and 2nd child, I didn't even wear bras specifically designed for nursing. I just wore either "nighttime" bras that moved to the side, or more of a stretchy bra that might be better described as a camisole. I picked both kinds up at either Target or K-Mart.

I'm on my 3rd baby and broke down to buy a few "nursing bras" and find them more supportive, but annoying. I can never seem to get the kind with the hook-and-eye fasteners to work without 2 hands. The ones that have snaps near the collar bone (like Bravado bras) are also hard to reach when trying to be discrete in public. I tried the Medela brand and again, they are almost impossible to close with one hand. The only kind I can close with 1 hand are the ones that close with a single snap in the center.

The bras I found to be the best are the cheaper ones from the stores in the malls in my area like MotherHood. They run under $20.

Leading Lady also makes a bra that has straps that adjust much shorter than other brands. You may find them in better department stores and on-line.

HTH,

gina, mom to 3

lisams
04-24-2003, 12:10 AM
I know your frustration!! I am 5' 2'' and had the same problem with the straps not getting short enough. After trying several nursing bras, I decided to just use a sports bra. I just pull it down to nurse (so much more easier for me than trying to hook/unhook those darn flaps!) This is the bra I have http://www.hanes.com/womens/sport_G366.jsp
It is racerback so I don't have to worry about the straps slipping off my shoulder. They were really cheap at Target, I think $10. I'm a B/C cup and the support is pretty good and the fabric is nice and stretchy.

Good Luck!
Lisa

Rachels
04-24-2003, 08:04 AM
Try the Elita Crossover Bra (see post below). I think that would work for you!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mamicka
04-24-2003, 08:29 AM
At breastisbest.com they have a few bras which you can order with the option of shorter straps. I can't remember which ones but I remember seeing them.

Good Luck!

parkersmama
04-24-2003, 09:17 AM
I second the recommendation for www.breastisbest.com I don't have the same problems as you (unfortunately I'm well-endowed and that's hard to fit, too!) but the people at breastisbest have been *extremely* helpful! I've talked to them on the phone twice and they were very knowledgeable plus the website has lots of ways to search (fit/size being one of them) and the descriptions give lots of info on how the bra fits, snaps, adjusts, etc.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-24-2003, 11:54 AM
www.decentexposures.com will customize bras based on your measurements, including the strap length etc.

You could call them, they were very helpful over the phone to me.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

dueinmay
04-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Thanks, everyone, for all the great ideas! Investigating all these new possibilities will be a top priority for next week. *Something* should work! At least there is hope . . . :)

Again, many thanks! :)

Rebecca
#1 due 5-13-03