PDA

View Full Version : Best breast pads?

khakismom
04-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Wanted to know which breast pads--either disposible or washable--you ladies liked the best. I just used ones from a girlfriend last time and don't even know which kind they were--plus I really didn't need them all that much. But I'm planning on BF longer this time and want to be prepared. So, which ones do you like? Are there any I should avoid? Thank you so much!! :)

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Ellen EDD 6/12/03

stillplayswithbarbies
04-25-2003, 11:20 AM
I like the Lansinoh disposables. They have a sticky side to stay in place, and the gel inside to keep the moisture away from your skin. They are contoured and thin so they don't show through your clothes.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

liya
04-25-2003, 08:50 PM
ditto. those are the best i drive for miles to find them because where i live they dont sell them evrywhere and useually the walmart near my house runs out pretty quick..Avoind the curity ones they dont have the sticky side in the back and tend to move alot which only makes them end up looking all bulcky..I used to buy the washable ones but they were too much trouble for me and didnt keep me quite as dry...but thats me, i can only talk about the disposable ones...The avent ones are also pretty good but bulcky also they are way thicker than the other ones...hope this helps :)

etwahl
04-25-2003, 09:04 PM
I like the medela washable ones but only to wear to bed. They are really bulky and not contoured, but are good for "mopping up" the tons of milk i tend to leak at night! I don't leak during the day anymore, but the johnsons contoured disposables seemed pretty good for daytime.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003

Denyse
04-26-2003, 01:52 PM
I really like the Johnson's super absorbant pads. They come 36 in a box for around $4.79. The regular Johnson's pads are not as good, imo. They get soggy much quicker. They are cheaper, however. 50 in a box for around the same price. They still work you just may have to change them a bit more at times when you have more leakage.

I also have 12 washable breast pads that I bought at JCPenney.com. They work great. I just prefer the disposables for convenience sake.

August Mom
04-26-2003, 09:24 PM
My favorite nursing pads are the Curity pads. I have found them to be the cheapest and most absorbent. I thought the Lansinoh and Gerber ones with adhesive were okay, but whenever I moved my bra to nurse, the pad was dislodged anyway, defeating the purpose of the adhesive, so I found that I liked the pads without the adhesive the best. I had the least luck with the J&J contoured pads. I liked that they were contoured, but I had problems with leaking everytime I wore them.

lesliepear
04-26-2003, 10:22 PM
I didn't like dispoasbles, they were rough on my breasts. I ended up with assorted cloth ones - Gerber (very tiny), Bravado (nice but big), Sweet Cheeks (from eBay, nice but the fleece side which was supposed to be flesh colored was an ugly gray), and Milk Diapers which I had gotten somwhere on-line).

stillplayswithbarbies
04-27-2003, 12:19 PM
I find the the adhesive usually holds as I lower the bra flap to nurse and when I pull it back up. Sometimes it gets all scrunched up under my breast though.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

nigele
04-28-2003, 08:20 AM
I used Medela washable pads for night time and at home. For going out, I liked the Gerber disposables - they were hardly noticable under my top. Luckily, I didn't leak much so I didn't have to wear them for long.

Good luck!

daisy1234
04-28-2003, 02:00 PM
J&J were the best for me. They are cotton and fairly absorbent and don't look bad under your clothes!

Jen841
04-28-2003, 03:07 PM
I was recommended these pads, so I have them ready to go (due 5/25/03.) I did notice they are backed in plastic. At the hospital last week I took a class and they said not to get the plastic backed ones, but did not give a reason. Has anyone else ever heard this? I am told these are the best out there, and I will be attending a wedding weeks after the birth so I am counting on these to keep my shirt dry.

flagger
04-28-2003, 04:14 PM
>I was recommended these pads, so I have them ready to go
>(due 5/25/03.) I did notice they are backed in plastic. At
>the hospital last week I took a class and they said not to
>get the plastic backed ones, but did not give a reason. Has
>anyone else ever heard this?

The facilitator at our class told us that she preferred the cotton washable ones since they would allow air to pass through and breathe, but didn't say anything negative about the disposable ones. I think it will all come down to personal preference.

sweetbasil
04-28-2003, 04:33 PM
I loved the curity pads, too. I was a major leaker for a LOOOOOONG time, and nothing else seemed to do the trick. And they have that nice waterproof backing, so it took a major leaking problem to soak through that!

August Mom
04-28-2003, 05:37 PM
I was a major leaker for a long time too and never had a leak with the Curity pads. So, maybe Curity are the best for heavy leakers. And, when you need nursing pads for a long time, they are the most economical disposables. You can get almost twice as many Curity pads for the cost of Lansinoh or Gerber.

jubilee
04-28-2003, 09:01 PM
I have used the Avent washable ones, and they are okay- they aren't noticable which is great, but I tend to soak through them often. I have also used the Lansinoh disposables, which were recommended by my lactation consultant, and I have never soaked through them. I don't stick them to the bra, just place them and they don't wander. I do have to set them aside when I nurse though. Based on the other posts I think I'll try the Curity ones next.