PDA

View Full Version : off and on pain in right breast

posterelle
04-26-2003, 07:44 PM
I've been having pretty bad pain in my right breast, been getting wrose I think for a couple days, but then every now & then, it's totally fine. (my son is 6 wks old) I can't figure out why. When it hurts, it's like every suck is magnified, like he's a super-charged vaccuum cleaner on my nipple. Hard to locate the pain, it's the nipple, but sometimes feels like it radiates into the breast itself as well.

Sometimes it seemed like side-lying at night was causing it, but then that position was totally fine this afternoon. Left breast, btw, is fine.

Have been using Lansinoh, don't think there are any cracks or blisters, & *think* my latch & position are good --?

I've already put in a call to a lactation consultant, but won't hear from her til Monday, so I wondered if any of you have any thoughts . . . many thanks!

C99
04-26-2003, 07:55 PM
Sounds like it could be a yeast infection. Do you have any other symptoms?

Rachels
04-26-2003, 08:38 PM
It sounds like yeast to me, too. (Thrush.) You can try gentian violet on your nipples and in your baby's mouth. Or ask your doctor for Diflucan, which works WAY better than the Nystatin they'll suggest initially. Hope you feel better!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Karenn
04-26-2003, 11:26 PM
I never had thrush, so I can't compare, but your description sounds like what my plugged ducts felt like. (It took me several plugs to recognize it as such!) I tried to nurse frequently. Sometimes a heating pad would help, but one time it did turn into an infection. You probably won't, but if you start to get a fever, don't wait until Monday because you'll feel much better with antibiotics. :)

telewill
04-27-2003, 08:41 PM
Please let me know what you find out; I'm in the exact same place as you are! My daughter is six weeks old. I went to the pediatrician crying last Monday because I didn't want formula, but if I didn't get past the pain, that's where I was headed.

The doctor said my symptoms sounded like yeast as well (shooting off and on pain in my right breast and sore nipples). I also met with an LC to check my latch on and all seemed good there. There was room for improvement in a few areas, but not a lot.

As mentioned, I was prescribed Diflucan. I can't say I'm better yet, but I'm improving.
She also said to clean my nipples after each feeding with one tablespoon of vinegar to one cup of water. This is supposed to kill the yeast. Also, wear a clean bra every day, maybe even change twice during the day. If you are diagnosed with yeast, wash all of your current bras in HOT water, and sterilize any bottles, pacifier, or pumping attachment (boil in hot water for 20 minutes).

I have the Nystatin cream too, but I clean it off before every feeding, so I find using it a royal pain. I'm doing it twice a day now. My daughter is also receiving Nystatin drops.

The pain is in both breast, and seems to move around. It’s a sharp shooting pain. I’m really tired of it. I want BFing to work, but I need some pain relief. Sometimes it is even difficult to hold my DD on my shoulder.

Good luck with your situation. Again, let me know what you learn.

Rachels
04-28-2003, 07:42 AM
Hang in there!!! It will feel better soon! Don't worry about wiping off the nystatin. It's okay to leave it on. If the diflucan doesn't help in a couple of days, ask for a higher dose. You'll get through this, and you'll be so glad you kept nursing. I know it's hard. Let us know if you need support.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

posterelle
04-28-2003, 12:21 PM
definitely hang in there! (are you pumping? I found pumping hurt less than nursinng, & temporarily pumped on that side instead. Which, if it were a plugged duct would not be a good idea, but I think it was ok in this situation)

Meanwhile, you guys who guessed thrush for me shld hang your shingle! My son DID have thrush a couple wks ago, & while I think he was treated successfully, I might not have been.

So I've gone back to using Nystatin (which you don't need to wash off, since baby gets it too), & I seem to be improving. I really hope this is the problem/solution, & I really hope you get some relief soon!

parkersmama
04-28-2003, 03:59 PM
You may need to go with the Gentian Violet that Rachel suggested. When my younger son was a baby, we had a very persistant case of thrush. I seemed to be able to clear it up in him with the Nystatin but not in me. We resorted to Gentian Violet more than once and it really fixes it FAST! The downside...it is VERY messy! If you use it on your son, dip a q-tip in the bottle (make sure you don't drip it anywhere and move the bottle far away from him so that he doesn't knock it over!) and rub the q-tip inside his mouth. To prevent the outside of his mouth from getting purple, smear it well with vaseline first and then you'll be able to wipe off the vaseline and any extra GV after the application. For yourself, apply the GV with a q-tip or cotton ball to clean, dry nipples. Let it air dry completely and be sure that you wear nursing pads or it will ruin your bras and clothing. There is no need to wash it off before nursing (as if you could wash it off! LOL!) and be certain to let your nipples air dry after each feeding. You can do the application just a couple of times a day and it will really clear it up fast...in just a day or two. Of course, it will then take several more days before your boobs and his mouth don't appear purple! LOL! I know it sounds yucky (and it is) but it really works and that's worth it! Good luck!