PDA

View Full Version : How long is the Boppy useful for BFing?

kar212
04-28-2003, 02:47 PM
My baby is 3 1/2 weeks now, and my wrists get sore from holding him up. I hadn't bothered getting a Boppy because it seems bulky and we live in a small apt., but it might be worth squeezing it in if it will be useful for many months ... My baby is already on the big side -- will he outgrow it too soon to make it worth getting?

Thanks.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-28-2003, 03:00 PM
I have been using the Boppy since she was born, and even though she is just 5 weeks now, I can't see ever outgrowing it. I envision her laying on it to watch tv when she is a toddler and older. :)

Get one, you'll love it and wonder how you ever did without it. It is so uncomfortable to breastfeed without it when we are out in public, I don't know how you've been able to get along without one.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

kfcboston
04-28-2003, 03:05 PM
I'm using one to nurse my 8-week old, although I didn't really get into using it until a couple weeks ago as he really started to get heavy (95th percentile!). I love it, and I hear the baby can use it by himself as well once he starts getting more "mobile".

Katie
Mommy to Charlie, 3/5/03

Jen841
04-28-2003, 03:05 PM
I have not had my baby yet, but I am told this is a MUST. Looks like it can be used for multiple purposes. We have the one with the gym toys from Right Start (gift). I have seen Boppy's for around $15 at TJ MAXX and Marshalls lately. Got to love that price!

ginalc
04-28-2003, 03:45 PM
If you fold a regular pillow in half, you can get the same feel as the boppy provides. I have several nursing pillows and I find that my folded pillow is actually one of my favorites. :) Cheaper, too!

"My Best Friend" is a company that makes nursing pillows and has an inflatable BFing Support Pillow that folds flat when you're through using it. I got one through the hospital where I delivered for $18. It also provides lumbar support. I find that at the end of the day, when I need some back support and help with positioning in a chair without arms, I reach for the inflatable pillow. I use it while nursing my 2.5 year old and my newborn.

gina, mom to 3

parkersmama
04-28-2003, 03:53 PM
I used mine with both boys until they were about 5-6 months old as a nursing pillow. After that, I used it to prop them up when they were learning to sit up on their own. And we also used it as a pillow to watch tv or movies on the floor. I'd say that we definitely got our money's worth out of it and you should try one out! I've seen them at Target recently as well but didn't pay attention to the price.

COElizabeth
04-28-2003, 05:15 PM
I'm still using the Boppy for feeding my 7-month old.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

August Mom
04-28-2003, 05:28 PM
I think a lot of it depends on you and your preferences. My DS is 8.5 months old and I could still use it with him everytime I nursed him if I wanted to (i.e. he still fits and it's still comfortable). However, as I got more comfortable with breastfeeding (and feeding out and about without a Boppy), I use it less at home for breastfeeding. I still use it when I nurse DS in my bed in the early morning and I use it whenever I trim DS's fingernails (I trim his nails while nursing). I also used it around DS when he was learning to sit and to prop him up on his tummy. I think you'll like it.

C99
04-28-2003, 06:43 PM
I got one when Nate was about 6 weeks old, at the advice of my SIL who loved hers and sort of on the advice of my LC, who kept propping Nate up into cradle hold (instead of cross cradle). However, I find the Boppy nearly impossible to use -- when I sit down on the couch or in a chair, the cushions push forward the "prongs," and it is no longer flush against me for holding Nate up. If Nate hadn't spit up on it, I would have returned it by now as it is just taking up space.

barbarhow
04-28-2003, 07:15 PM
I used mine alot for the first 3 weeks. Now I have found that I prefer a regular pillow. I would not have had any idea how to use a regular pillow though without first using the boppy. I can see that we will probably use it in the future for sitting up, etc. A friend gave me hers and while there is controversy over whether they are washable-I just made a new cover. I used fleece, outlined it on paper and then cut out and sewed. If you make it a little big and make one end longer-you can cut the ends into strips and tie together to close. That way you can remove the cover in order to wash.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

liya
04-28-2003, 07:43 PM
get it...if it werent for the boppy my arms wouldnt be able to survive a whole day....although i have found that a folded pillow does the almost same trick i really prefer the boppy.....

Mommy of Arian Alexander
2/13/03

stillplayswithbarbies
04-28-2003, 07:45 PM
The new Boppys are made with a removable cover that is washable. I also have one of the older styles and I ran it through the wash on gentle cycle and let it air dry and it came out fine.

My only complaint with the Boppy is that I wish they made them in a plus size. To fit around my tummy, I have to pull it out of shape a bit and I am not sure it will hold up to a year of this.

I also tried the My Brest Friend and hated it. It felt like baby was up on a shelf and it's hard so she doesn't feel secure perched up there. The Boppy is cuddly.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

jubilee
04-28-2003, 08:51 PM
I can only breastfeed with the Boppy, since I have problems with supporting the weight of Logan without something raising him up to my breast. I just about die when I am out of the house and have to feed him and my arms feel like they will fall off! I do have to say my Lactation Consultant showed me the Boston Billow, and I wish I had it instead. It has "beans" in it so it is ajustable to the support you want, rather than being a pillow like the Boppy. But to answer your question, I find the nursing pillow a necessity and think it will have a long life at my house.

mam615
04-29-2003, 05:34 PM
I found it to be critical for the first few months, and I still use it most of the time (but don't necessarily need it anymore). Dorothy is now 6 months old, and she has been using it to learn how to sit up. BTW, I had a similar issue when Dorothy was about 5 weeks old. I thought, "I really should have gotten a glider, but isn't it too late now?" (especially since it would take another 4 weeks to arrive). I am so happy I decided to get the glider, even a little late. I now can't imagine not having either a glider or a boppy!

kar212
04-30-2003, 05:00 PM
relieve my arm strain -- plus it really is wonderful for cutting baby's nails while feeding!

Michelle or anyone who knows ... My wrists feel most strained from holding the baby up when we're in our glider, not in bed or on the couch. But the Boppy just doesn't fit when I'm in the glider -- glider's too narrow, I'm too big. Do you have to be a small person to use the Boppy in the glider, or is there some trick for wedging the pillow in there ...? Thanks for insights!

mam615
04-30-2003, 08:51 PM
Have you tried resting the boppy on the arms of the glider (rather than wedging it between you and the chair)? For the first couple of months (as mentioned), I didn't have a glider, so I fed her in a wider easy chair, and the boppy fit around me fine. But in narrower chairs, I think I rest the pillow on the arms. Funny -- it's hard to remember without actually being there (can't go in D's room now or I'll wake her up!).

jubilee
05-01-2003, 12:04 AM
In my glider I have to put the Boppy on sideways, with the opening at one side (the side I am not feeding on). It fits that way and is still comfy