PDA

View Full Version : Reasonably priced nursing clothes?

charigot
04-29-2003, 09:23 AM
Do they exist? Where? I have searched eBay and don't want anything used, however the new stuff all seems to go for high prices, too. I just want a few t-shirts for a trip we're taking in June, but I won't pay $25 for a t-shirt (motherwear, expressiva, etc). Please don't reply that I should just make a shirt because i don't want to do that. I'm looking to buy one, but for less money. Thanks very much!

trumansmom
04-29-2003, 10:25 AM
I know what you mean! Here's a link I found when I was searching. http://www.kjsl.com/~beanmom/nursing.html. Hopefully, you'll be able to find something that works for you!

One word of advice, be sure to check out the return policies before you buy. I got stuck with a couple of really cruddy shirts from a site with a no return policy on clearance items. Of course, they didn't say the clearance items had mismatched stripes and were seconds. I was ticked. Unfortunately, I can't remember which site it was. Sorry.

Good luck!
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01

August Mom
04-29-2003, 12:12 PM
Several people on this board have recommended blissfulbabes.com. Here is a link to the bargain page: http://www.blissfulbabes.com It looks like tops are mostly in the $16 to $20 range here.

If you just want a basic T-shirt, you can get those at Motherhood Maternity. I got one on sale for $12. However, they have that horrible return policy (i.e. you only get store credit on a return and have to return within 14? (maybe it's 10) days). The quality is okay, but not great and it does look like you are wearing a nursing shirt.

Overall, I've found I like just pulling up a regular T-shirt better than using my nursing shirt so I just do that and save my money.

charigot
04-29-2003, 12:16 PM
Has anyone ordered from Moms In Mind? It's in Singapore, but the prices and clothes look great. Not sure about shipping, though, obviously. www.momsinmind.com.sg

charigot
04-29-2003, 12:21 PM
Thanks August Mom. My son was born 8/12/02! I wouldn't even think of buying nursing stuff (we've gotten along this far without any nursing clothes) but we are flying to see inlaws in June and I'm thinking I and our relatives will be more comfortable if I buy a few pieces for when we'll be out. Not to mention the looks I"m sure I'd get on the plane... Thanks for your message.

August Mom
04-29-2003, 01:34 PM
Yeah. The first time we visited the in-laws was when DS was 7.5 weeks old. I was very nervous about breastfeeding in front of them and spent a lot of time in the spare bedroom away from the crowd. However, I think I would have been like this nursing shirt or not. The next time we were there, DS was 4.5 months and we were a lot better at nursing. I just nursed him in the room with everybody else (with my regular turtleneck sweaters) and no one minded. Actually, I've never gotten a negative response when nursing in public. Of course, I do not know your in-laws so they might get bent out of shape without nursing apparel. If you're only going to use it for that visit, I'd check out Motherhood Maternity's sale rack. I think you'll find the best prices there (although not the best style). They also have some nursing tanks that one of my friends uses. She then puts a button down shirt over the tank, unbuttoned. It works well for her. HTH I hope you find something that works for the trip.

barbarhow
04-29-2003, 07:58 PM
On motherhoods return policy..............Our local Macy's carries a large selection of motherhood clothing with a normal return policy. A great find after getting stuck with a few unwanted items from motherhood.
Barbara - mom to Jack 3/27/03

happymom
05-16-2003, 04:37 PM
I know this post is almost a month old, but if anyone is still interested, I have friends who've done well with making their own nursing tanks. They cut slits over each breast, zig-zag or serge the edges, and wear under a button-down shirt. Since so many of my pre-pregnancy dresses are button-downs anyway, this is what I'm going to try. Anyone else tried this?

C'helle

nat12
05-16-2003, 05:34 PM
That sounds like a good idea if you have access to a sewing machine. Thought I'd add that Baby Depot sells a nursing camisole by Lansinoh for $5.99 which is a great price, it's a nice thick cotton and looks exactly like a tank top. Unfortunately they only had it in white. I bought one a few weeks ago and plan on buying more if I find that it's useful. I feel much better knowing I can wear it under a button down top when I possibly start nursing in public soon (I really don't want to!).

Natalie
edd 6/2/03