PDA

View Full Version : Nursing at 9 Months

newbelly2002
04-29-2003, 02:22 PM
And I thought I couldn't make it to 6 months... :) Whenever anyone asks (and they ALL do), I say that we're kinda like the energizer bunny around here: stilllllll going....

Anyway, how often should I be nursing at this age? I know this is the transition point at which babies begin to take some real nutrition from food. Currently, I'm nursing him first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and then "usually" (with the exception of during colds, teething, growth spurts, full moons....) one "snack" just before naptime at about 10 AM and 3 PM. Is this too much? Dante is eating cereal with fruit for breakfast, fruits and vegetables for lunch (out of a jar), and then grated (THANK YOU, RACHEL!!!!) turkey, carrots, cheese, or whatnot with some ...goodness, "milchbrei" it's a sweet cereal, sort of a cross between tapioca and yogurt.

I thought this was okay, but so many other mothers around me seem to be shocked that I'm still nursing "so much." Should I be chopping out the snacks?

Also, Dante does not like to consume any other liquids (water, tea, juice) which is the other reason I'm keeping the nursing "up." It is a constant struggle be it in a sippy cup, straight glass, or bottle. Any suggestions on that front as well?

TIA!
Paula, Mama to Dante 8/1/02
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33a3c3de467

Andrea S
04-29-2003, 02:39 PM
At 8.5 months we are still nursing 4-5 times a day. At our 8 month prd visit she said that this was fine, but I need to add lunch we had just been doing 2 solid meals. Andrew has always been in 90% for weight so I figure are doing ok. I look forward to see what everyone else doing.

Congrats on nursing this long my goal was 6 mos too and we are still going.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

charigot
04-29-2003, 03:20 PM
We are nursing at 8.5 months and this is exactly the frequency we're at, too, except Niccolo wakes at night and nurses (once, twice..whatever depending on the number of teeth he's getting this week--he has five and six and seven are not far behind). He does take a sippy cup with water or juice, but doesn't drink much from it usually. He never finishes a whole cup and rarely finishes half, but he does seem to like it. We introduced it at 6 mos and he mostly bit on it, but then got the hang of it after a month or so.

What kind of cheese are you feeding Dante? I would like to start giving Nic cheese and yogurt. He also eats pastina and cheerios and jar food, but no other "adult" food yet. He gags so often when I introduce things. Grated turkey sounds interesting! Do you buy deli turkey and grate it?

Thanks and HTH
Jen & Nic 8/12/02
http://www.braico.com/nic/nicphotos.htm

newbelly2002
04-29-2003, 03:27 PM
Well, Rachel is the expert, but here's what I do.

I just buy some boneless turkey breast, cook it in the pan, wait till it cools and then grate it as I do the carrots. Dante gags a bit, but seems to like it well enough. He loves being able to feed himself. As for the cheese, I've given him a bit of mozerella and mild cheddar. He's been developing a rash for about a month now (he may have to go for allergy testing if it doesn't clear up) so I'm holding off on introducing anything else new for a while. Also, you could give your guy little bits of soft bread. Dante grooves on that.

Other good textured foods to intoduce include potatoes and cucumbers.

The gagging is scary; I just make sure I'm always there. Night nursings. Ugh.

lukkykatt
04-29-2003, 03:58 PM
I had this same question. DS is 10 months old and eating 3 solid meals (jars of food, plus finger food) per day. We are nursing 4 to 5 times per day - about the same schedule as you - morning, nightime before bed and before both naps. I try to nurse before meals, since I thought that bm should be the primary source of nutrition for the first year. But then often I suggest nursing to squeeze these in, instead of bf'ing on demand. The nursing before naps is what helps him wind down, so I did not want to cut those out. So, here I am, nursing 4 to 5 times per day and wondering if this is too much.

DS was never one to take a bottle after he turned 2 or 3 months. So I have been giving him a sippy cup at least once a day, trying to get him used to it. He seems confused if the valve is in, so I give him one without the valve and just let him take little sips. He does seem to enjoy it, but is probably taking in only one or two ounces per day this way.

mamahill
04-29-2003, 04:22 PM
That was what we did. I think at 9 months I began going straight to cereal in the morning, instead of nursing right away. But then I'd nurse her before her 2 naps and at night before bed. But I have a small eater, and food has never really interested her (must have got that from her daddy's side). But then at 10.5 months she weaned herself, so there you go. I say continue with whatever you feel comfortable with. He'll let you know if he wants more/less nursing. It sounds like you are offering wonderful meals and snacks!

ginalc
04-29-2003, 10:45 PM
Hi Paula,

The average age of weaning a child worldwide is at 4.5 years. In the United States, it's less than 6 months. I'm always excited to hear of Moms who meet the needs of their baby first, and consider weaning when baby is ready and willing. I'm so glad to read that you're nursing well at 9 months of age!!!

I still nurse my 2.5 yr old 4-5 times daily. When she's tired or stressed out, she nurses more. When her world is busy, she nurses less. I never planned on nursing this long, she just hasn't been ready to wean! She has only ever needed antibiotic once and is the healthiest kid I know. We now have a new baby who turned 5 months old today, and the transition from single nursling to tandem nursling couldn't have been smoother. It is the most amazing sight in the world to see the way the 2.5 yr old carresses and touches baby brothers hands and face. There is no jealousy, only hugs, kisses, and lots of smiles.

Children nurse for many reasons, not just because they are "hungry." They nurse when they seek comfort, when they are thirsty, when they want Mommy all to themselves, when they are tired or not feeling well, and sometimes, just because.

To nurse for 9 months, you should consider yourself an expert and be proud for listening to your heart, not your friends. Many children nurse more frequently when they try something new that may be difficult like walking, climbing, figuring things out, you name it! Think of nursing with Mom as "home base," a place to feel safe and secure.

I wouldn't stress over the other liquids. Sounds like you're doing a terrific job!!!

They grow up too fast anyway.......

gina, mom to 3
Bfing for (a total of) 4 years

ginalc
04-29-2003, 11:02 PM
Paula,

I should add that there is a book called "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" that I borrowed from the LC at the hospital. If you have the time, it's an interesting book to read. Though I didn't agree with everything written, it explains many of the reasons why older children nurse, and gives some great advice on when and how to limit the time you make yourself available to them.

It also might lend some insight into why Dante is limiting his acceptance of other liquids right now. :)

BTW, I LOVE the name Dante!!! It suits your little one well! :)

gina, mom to 3

August Mom
04-29-2003, 11:20 PM
Well, I can't imagine what the other moms around you would think of us. LOL At 8.5 months, DS still nurses approximately every 2 hours during the day (I guess that works out to 8 times a day - WOW). However, he really doesn't eat any other food. We're still working on feeding him solids. He maybe eats 2 or 3 spoonfuls of whatever food we're giving him, then clenches his lips together, turns his head and pushes the spoon away. The only things he likes are puffed rice cereal, Cheerios, Fruit Wagon Wheels and Gerber Veggie Crackers. Sigh. He likes water too, but really doesn't consume much of it. He drinks out of a regular cup or water bottle best. Have you tried giving him water out of a water bottle? DS seems to think this is really neat and the opening is small, so he gets more water in his mouth and less on his chin and chest. He also likes to suck on the bottles with the sport spout.

AngelaS
04-30-2003, 06:08 AM
At 9 months Gabrielle was also nursing 4X a day---first thing in the morning, after her two naps and right before bed. I was going to cut back a feeding then, but she was only in the 20-25% for height and weight so I didn't. LOL

Now she's almost 1 and yesterday I decided to wean her from the late morning nursing. She's been eating 3 meals a day for quite some time, so I figured this is fine.

She'll drink water GREAT from a sippy cup. EBM isn't her favorite and I don't give her bottles (She's not fond of them). What can I say? She prefers her milk straight from the tap! :D

Rachels
04-30-2003, 07:49 AM
Good for you! You can't nurse too much. It sounds like he's doing beautifully, and so are you!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mcmorfit
04-30-2003, 08:18 AM
I must say this post has been very inspirational! Though my DD is only 2 months, it is wonderful to see that so many mums are still feeding their wee ones. It must be the post-pregnancy hormones, because I got a little weepy reading these!

Thanks,

newbelly2002
04-30-2003, 09:38 AM
How'd you knock out that AM feeding?

As soon as the babe sees me in the morning, regardless of whether he just woke up, or just drank a bottle from Steve, he starts SCREAMING to be fed. If I leave the room, even to pee first, it's a major drama, not to be finished until he ends up where he wants: on the breast. He's content to take a bottle, so it's not as if he's super attached to that one time for pure nutrition. But still, there seems to be a direct equasion--mommy equals milk--for this initial morning meal. He's not like that at any other time in the day.

I'd love to be more than a milk bar in the AM.

newbelly2002
04-30-2003, 09:48 AM
"The average age of weaning a child worldwide is at 4.5 years."

Clearly someone needs to let these silly Berliners know that! :)

Rachels
04-30-2003, 10:47 AM
These silly Americans, too! I can't believe how much subtle (and not so subtle) pressure there is to wean.

(Gina-- nice to see another lactivist here. I became one by accident, too. :) )

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

ginalc
04-30-2003, 02:52 PM
I know what you mean about getting weepy. I was calling it lack of sleep! :)

Anyone else out there willing to pay $3000 for an uninterrupted nap!?!

Leaving DH alone with the kids helps him understand how important "B Team" is at the end of the day!

gina, mom to 3

parkersmama
04-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Get ready, Rachel, it only gets worse as they hit the one year mark!! People are soooo nosey and pushy about weaning and seem to think that beyond 1 year is practically sinful. LOL! I loved nursing after one year, though, because it was such a calming time in the tornado world of toddlerhood! Sometimes the only times my boys were still was when they were nursing. Both of them weaned around 21 months and it just sort of tapered off. I, too, am an 'accidental' lactivist. I felt strongly about nursing and hoped that I could make it to six months. At six months, I thought "I can't imagine stopping now!" and kept going. At one year, I thought "Well, I'm not stopping now, he's not ready" and so it went on. :-)

parkersmama
04-30-2003, 03:17 PM
What you're describing seems perfectly normal to me. I always let the baby lead the way and nursed as they seemed to want it and dropped feedings as they seemed to be less interested. Breastmilk is still his main source of nutrition so don't feel pressured to stop!!

spu
04-30-2003, 07:19 PM
Paula,
as far as how often to nurse, I'd say let your baby decide. Some days it seems as though we nurse 5 or 6 times and other days it feels more like 10 or 12! The good news is the sessions are getting alot shorter (like 5 minutes), though the nighttime feedings are more for comfort than actual eating, so they last alot longer.

Going back to Gina's and Rachel's posts, you're both so inspiring! I'm nursing my 2 babies and they're 9 months now and I have no plans to stop. So far, no one has asked when I'm going to stop, but I know alot of people out there who think that by a certain age, nursing should be done.

You're absolutely right. Nursing is more than just nutrition. I've posted alot and have been asking tons of questions about how to deal with remarks when I'm nursing the babies past the 1 yr mark, so it's nice to know we have a great support group right here on these boards! thanks everyone!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

sparkeze
05-01-2003, 12:11 AM
My goal was to make it to 6 months too! Now I'm thinking that I don't know if I want to still be nursing when DS is 3.

I don't know how much DS nurses out of hunger but lately he's been nursing about 10-12 times in a 24 hour period. Probably about 4 of those is at night. He eats solids all day long and loves it but he never misses a nursing either. And he's pretty skinny despite all that. So I figure he needs all that to keep up with his non-stop moving self. I think all babies are different and "know" what they need for themselves.

Does Dante drink water at mealtimes? DS drinks water out of a sippy cup with his meals and snacks but doesn't drink anything else. But a whole days worth of water for him is about 2 ounces.

Congratulations on making it this far!!!

ginalc
05-01-2003, 05:37 AM
Wow Susan, nursing twins? You must be a real trooper! :)

My oldest DD (now 12 yrs old) stopped nursing at 17 months. We were both ready to quit at that time and it was easy. My family thought that I was crazy to nurse that long!

I think that I probably would have stopped nursing my 2.5 yr old if we had not had the new baby. We had gotten down to 1-2 times daily and she drank water and other liquids really well from a cup. Once the new baby arrived, she sought comfort by nursing whenever the baby did, and she loved the abundance of milk. Now that things have calmed down, she nurses less.

I use the "don't offer, don't refuse" technique, unless I'm bursting and don't have a pump handy.

When my family says something like "are you going to be one of those moms who nurses after they come home from school?" I just smile and say, "well, I hope not!!! LOL! We will stop nursing when she's ready. We take one day at a time, and today, she's not ready."

My DH is also supportive, and I know that makes a huge difference.

gina, mom to 3