PDA

View Full Version : DHA and ARA Revisited

brubeck
04-29-2003, 07:05 PM
I know, I know, we've already had discussions on whether or not the formulas with DHA and ARA are worth buying, but what about the baby food?

I think Beech Nut is the only brand that has it in their baby foods. This whole thing is new for me since when Amy was at the baby food stage the DHA/ARA was not approved yet by the FDA. I'm going to start Andrew on solids in a month or two and I was wondering what people were experiencing. Is it worth it for me to buy the Beech Nut instead of Earth's Best (the brand I used with Amy)? Do the babies seem to notice a taste difference? Is there a price difference? If I am supplementing with DHA/ARA formula, does it really matter if it's in the baby food too?

Thoughts?

stillplayswithbarbies
04-29-2003, 08:35 PM
When we get to that stage, I don't plan to buy the baby food with the added DHA etc. What happens if baby gets too much of it? How much is too much?

I'll stick with Earth's Best brand. I'd prefer her food to have as few additives as possible.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

Momof3Labs
04-29-2003, 09:33 PM
Also, how much baby food is baby really consuming in the first 6-9 months of life - enough to really matter? At least with formula, the baby is consuming a larger quantity (thus a larger quantity of DHA and ARA).

Plus, IF the claims about DHA and ARA are bona fide, it makes sense to add it to formula - the "replacement" for breastmilk. But baby food is served to bf'd and non-bf'd babies; it isn't a replacement for breastmilk. So why would babies need DHA and ARA in their jarred food?

Seems like another marketing gimmick to me (even if the DHA and ARA claims are bona fide).

JMHO!