PDA

View Full Version : Stretch Marks Creams??

Grace_underfire
04-30-2003, 10:18 AM
Any recommendations on stretch marks creams?? I now that they say that nothing works but I want to at least give my skin a chance and hope for the best. ;)

Rachels
04-30-2003, 10:45 AM
Really thick cocoa butter! Shea butter is also good.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mommyj
04-30-2003, 11:39 AM
I started using the Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Massage Cream for Stretch Marks(the cheap one from Toys R Us) a few days ago. I bought it several months ago, but only decided to use it after my sister (who's a cosmetologist) told me that even if it doesn't prevent stretch marks (which I don't yet have), it's still good for a stretching belly. Sure enough, my belly has totally stopped itching and it feels really soft. I have extremely sensitive skin, so I usually don't like to use any products, but this lotion feels great!

Jen841
04-30-2003, 12:15 PM
I used Bath and Body Works Shea Butter ($15 a tube!) until recently when I switched to a shea butter that Trader Joe's carries. I have horrible stretch marks. My Dr says you can't avoid them if you body created them. She is going to prescribe Retin A after birth to hopefully get rid of them.

I am 100% guilty of only putting lotion on my face and maybe legs up until this point. I have been lathering up the belly since I learned of my pregnancy, but I guess that was not soon enough for my body.

cuca_
04-30-2003, 12:24 PM
I used the Palmer's cocoa butter massage cream for strech marks every day and I still got strech marks. I've read that it really depends on your skin and that it is hereditary. In my case my Mom got strech marks while pregnant. I did not get any for the first seven months or so of my pregnancy and thought I was home free, but no such luck. I still use the cream though, I figure I have nothing to lose, and it may actually lessen the marks. Who knows!

Ti Lung
04-30-2003, 02:24 PM
It certainly is an occupational hazard -- I bought "Beautiful Belly Balm" the other day and have started to apply it daily (oh yes, I now have those ugly reddish marks). It is made of cocoa butter, Vitamin E and other creams and ingredients. They sell it at Whole Foods, a national chain of health food store. I have also seen jars of pure cocoa butter although the pure concentrate is very expensive. HTH.

Momof3Labs
04-30-2003, 02:38 PM
I used that Palmer's cocoa butter stuff for a few days and ended up with the most awful red, itchy rash on my belly. Like 1,000 mosquitoes had bitten me all over. My OB put me on a cortisone cream and Benadryl (and had me stop using the cream) and it went away, thank goodness. It was just a bad allergic reaction. So if you have sensitive skin, you might want to try something in a small area to see if you have a reaction before slathering it all over your belly!

jojo2324
04-30-2003, 11:19 PM
I LOVE cocoa butter. It's what I use normally to moisturize. (Wait, what's that? Like I have time to moisturize??) And I love the smell, like chocolate.

I switch to shea butter in the summer because its smell reminds me of the beach for some reason.

I slathered my belly pretty well, and didn't have one stretch mark until day two of month nine (ten)!! ARGH! I was soooo close. But I agree, it is hereditary. My mother still has issues with me because of her stomach.

I have heard that Retin-A is supposed to help.

houseof3boys
05-01-2003, 09:33 AM
I don't think anything actually prevents them but Palmer's Cocoa Butter Massage Cream is great at keeping your belly moisturized. I use the regular Palmer's cocoa butter lotion in the morning and the Palmer's Massage Cream at night and have not had one day of itchy skin! I also have a Jason's Vitamin E oil from drugstore.com that has been wonderful too as it also has almond oil, apricot oil, avocado oil and wheat germ oil in it.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Mine are hereditary for sure. After my first baby was born, I was lamenting about the stretch marks, and my mother pulled up her shirt and said "here is what they look like after 28 years" and my grandma pulled up her shirt and said "here is what they look like after 40 years". Yep, we all three had the same pattern of stretch marks. They do fade over time.

I didn't get any new marks this time, and the old ones didn't get all red. I used lotion every night, but I don't think that had anything to do with it. But it did keep my belly from itching.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

KathyO
05-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Oh, you bring back memories!!! I didn't plan on using stretch mark cream, but my husband found some and brought it home as a peace offering after an argument we'd had (over what, I cannot remember now...)

It was called Earth Mama's Belly Jelly (no, really!) I have no stretch marks, but I don't think the cream had anything to do with it. That being said, it was a nice excuse to solicit a massage!

Cheers,

KathyO

nigele
05-01-2003, 04:13 PM
I think if you are going to get stretch marks, there is nothing you can do. The creams may have gotten a good reputation from those Moms who used them and didn't get any stretch marks although they probably would not have gotten them anyway! I didn't use anything at all and don't have one stretch mark.

mediamaven
05-05-2003, 09:49 PM
I slathered on Johnson and Johnson Baby Oil Gel every night and didn't get any stretch marks (and I gained 40 lbs. when I was pregnant). I recommended it to a couple of my friends and they have no stretch marks either! Yes, it's probably genetics that cause stretch marks, but I don't think it could hurt! :-)

hellosmiletoday
07-20-2004, 10:16 PM
I accidentally found this thread while searching for mosquito netting for my P3.

Anyway, I just thought I would add vitamin E + Aloe vera skin oil to the list. I purchased the generic brand at Walgreens for like $4!

The Palmer's cocoa butter gave me a rash, so I basically stuck with the vitamin E oil...often mixing it with B&Bworks scented lotion. I have also heard of someone cutting vitamin E pills, but this is a much cheaper alternative! I did not experience much itching. I also have very few stretchmarks that I can see so far, although I'm also a bit skeptical as to whether creams/oils can really prevent stretch marks. I lean more towards the genetics factor, but the odd thing is that my mom developed stretch marks with both of her pregnancies, and she gained 25 lb with her first pregnancy just like me.