PDA

View Full Version : Best portable steam cleaner for carpet (after vomit!)

tzuchang
04-30-2003, 07:04 PM
I tried to clean the carpet after DS vomitted, but the carpet still smells.. Any suggestions for getting rid of the smell? We are thinking about a portable handheld steam cleaner. Any suggestions? Or any other methods for better clean up? Thanks!!

JerseyMom
04-30-2003, 07:41 PM
This is what I bought for just such occasions! I didn't want unnecessary chemicals from steam cleaning my carpet professionally or with a rental. But with this machine, I can use simple, natural cleaning agents like vinegar and water to deep clean my carpets.

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%2Fasp%2FIsItemNumberRedirect.as p&search=SQ&frames=y&referrer=QVC&txtDesc=green+clean

I have yet to use it since DS is only 5 weeks old, but I am glad to have it at my disposal for whenever the need arises!

Momof3Labs
04-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Here's a very inexpensive solution: go to Petsmart and buy a bottle of Nature's Miracle. It is chemical-free and is great at knocking out stains and odors from these sorts of things. Be sure to let it soak into the carpet (down to the pad if you think the vomit soaked in that deep) and do NOT blot it up - get it good and soggy and let it sit and air dry. I have found that it takes up to a week to work, so it requires a little patience. But I have had great success with this stuff (and I have three dogs and a puking cat)!

Oh, be sure to follow the directions on the bottle, namely shaking it before using it - it seems to make a difference.

lukkykatt
05-01-2003, 06:31 AM
I used the same thing. We had a cat with IBS. Then I started using around this house after different messes from the kids - works great!

stillplayswithbarbies
05-01-2003, 12:23 PM
We are a big believer in Natures Miracle too.

Two dogs and three cats here.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03