PDA

View Full Version : Help! Getting mauled while BF'ing!

lukkykatt
05-01-2003, 01:41 PM
Ouch! Nursing my 10 month old has become painful. DS has acquired a new habit of pulling my hair, hitting my face and shoulder, squeezing my nose (last week he caused a nosebleed), and scratching while nursing. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it just a phase (hopfully)? Any hints on getting it to stop?

I have tried moving his hand away repeatedly, but that doesn't work. Also put a blanket in his hand, hoping he would yank on that instead of me. Should I stop the nursing and say "no"? Always reluctant to do that while he is going to sleep...

22tango
05-01-2003, 01:57 PM
At around 6 months Karenna started hitting me while BFing...I stopped it by grabbing her hand and kissing it. After a few sessions of this, she now reaches it up for kisses (although sometimes she now tries to grab my lips, oh well!) I've also heard they make necklaces (get only the kinds which won't break and have large pieces) to wear for babies to play with. Hope you get help!!

nigele
05-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Andrea,

I find my ten month old getting more and more aggressive and squirmy while nursing. He tries to roll out of my arms while still latched on - OUCH! He also bites when he is teething and has a new habit of sinking his two top teeth in while nursing. I don't think he's biting but has just found a new way to do it. When he gives me a real bite, I pull him away and say "No," as his pediatrician suggested but he laughs! Lately, I have been putting him down when he does it but I know what you mean about not wanting to do it when he is going to sleep. I think you just have to keep at it. I, too, hope it's a phase!

Karenn
05-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Colin's been doing this too. I've been holding his hand while he nurses and that seems to help. Sometimes, I've held it pretty firmly, but he'll keep nursing happily. Sometimes I'll give him a little stuffed animal to hold onto instead (like your blanket idea) but usually I just hold his hand.

ginalc
05-03-2003, 11:37 PM
You can try a different feeding position like lying down or a modified football hold. For examnple, set DS next to you and support his back with a pillow. It should make you less of a target. Some moms find relief by offering diff' toys or stuffed animals, others find that the toy simply becomes a weapon.

Also, when the behavior hurts you, don't be afraid to limit the session and try again later. Your little one's mind is most likely racing away and this is such a busy time for them! He has no idea that his curiosity is hurting you. It's hard to respond with kindness when you've just gotten a fat lip or your eyelid is inside out, but keep your cool. Chances are he's clueless as to why you may be upset!

Some children who get too curious and harmful do well to rest on mom's shoulder while walking through the house. If tired, he may be angry, but at least you'll be safe!

gina, mom to 3
Bf'ing for 4 yrs

Ferrety4
05-08-2003, 05:08 PM
My 10 month old does this too, and I've only found one thing that helps. Nursing necklaces! OMG I don't know what I would do without mine. Plus he's got a short attention span and often looks around, taking my nipple with him. This keeps him on the boob long enough to finish his meal.

August Mom
05-08-2003, 09:23 PM
What's a nursing necklace and where do you get one?

Ferrety4
05-09-2003, 11:50 AM
It's a necklace that'd designed for the mother to wear while she nurses. It's made of VERY thick string, and knotted between each bead so it's not a choking hazard. The necklace is strung with colorful textured beads (my son's has safari animals in lime green, yellow, and blue) to keep the baby interested while he nurses. It is the best thing EVER to keep that baby on the boob! I got mine made by a woman online who will make you a necklace with whatever you want on it, plus it has your baby's name in beads. They are $15 including shipping and WELL worth the price. I was trying to post the link but it's moved. I will try to scare up a new link for you.

Ferrety4
05-09-2003, 08:37 PM
Here's the new link:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/nursingnecklace/

lukkykatt
05-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Thanks! I'm going to check this out!

jojo2324
05-10-2003, 12:50 AM
Thanks so much for that link!! Those look really nice, and I think that they will absolutely do the trick. DS has a small nub of tooth emerging now, and YOWZA, does he get me good!

A couple of months ago I did notice an increase in "Let's really tick mommy off" behavior, but it's seemed to drop off, and certainly not because of anything I've done. I've done the no thing, the cease with nursing thing, etc, but I guess he just got over it. Every once in a while he'll get really squirmy and flail all over, but I take that as a sign that he's done and would like to get down. Also, he'll nick me with his nails a lot, but that's probably just a testament to how (in)frequently I trim them...Those clippers scare me! :D

Now, off to design my necklace...:D

luvbeinmama
05-11-2003, 02:26 AM
Just posting to say... it IS a phase. They are trying to figure out how everything works by touch and grabbing. They have NO idea they are hurting you. The nursing necklace sounds like a GREAT idea! They all go through the face-exploration for a while, but it will pass. Hang in there!