PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Pump in Style

heidi_timms
05-02-2003, 02:45 PM
Hi!

I was wondering if there is some sort of special way to clean the PIS after you use it? I detached the tubes and cleaned the cones attachments and bottles that I used with dishwashing soap and hot water and then let them air dry. I looked in the booklet that was in the box, but it doesn't mention any special way to sterilize or clean the parts.

Thanks,

Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

lukkykatt
05-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Before I used my PIS, I boiled everything except the tubes for about 15 minutes. After that, I just ran everything through the dishwasher on the top rack. I put the smaller parts in a bottle basket so they didn't fall through.

liya
05-03-2003, 05:49 PM
Make sure you clean the yellow atachments well after use(just detache them and clean them)...And also just a tip if you use the pump regularly you might have to change this little yellow part ( both of them) in a month they tend to go bad alot so when you notice it isnt pumping as well this is the problem.....lol

just though to give you a tip if you didnt know it i just found it out jajajaja id been using mine since feb and noticed the suction wasnt right so i talked to a frined who is a lc and she said i shouldve changed it months ago...lol

mommy to arian alexander

deenass
05-03-2003, 06:45 PM
What little yellow part? Where do you get replacements???

liya
05-03-2003, 07:02 PM
You know the yellow part with the membrane...When your pumping your milk goes through it..Its yellow with small flat membrane....Its called the regulation valve and it regulates your suction...if you use the PIS frequently its recomemded you change it every month or so.....in medela.com there is a search engine as to where you can buy it in your area if not they are available on line as well....

hope this helps :)

Mommy to Arian Alexander
2-13-03

Denyse
05-04-2003, 03:47 PM
Wow, I did not know those needed to be replaced so frequently! Good info to have. Thanks!

heidi_timms
05-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice. I'm glad you told me about that part. I noticed that there were one extra set in my box. They are just little white rubber membranes in a plastic pack. I'll have to check around as to where to get more.

Thanks again!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

Denyse
05-04-2003, 08:59 PM
After some digging around, I found in one of the little instruction books that comes w/ the PIS there is a list of parts and how to order them.

lukkykatt
05-04-2003, 10:02 PM
I think how often they need to be replaced depends on how much you use them, fyi. I've used my PIS just occassionally for 2 years and I have never replaced any parts, fyi. The membranes are the only part I don't put in the dishwasher - I just rinse those by hand.

peanut4us
05-04-2003, 10:54 PM
FYI... don't just clean the yellow part... take the white membrane off each time too and clean those. I just hand wash in hot water and Dawn the pieces... and dishwasher everything about once a week.

Joey

Mother to Sara Anne 3/27/03

liya
05-05-2003, 12:02 AM
yes the replacement does depend on how frequently you use the machine but it does have to be replaced every 6 months even if you hardly ever use it..if you use it alot then it has to be replaced monthly...i learned this just a couple of weeks ago nobody hardly ever notices the little yellow part with the membrane....lol if it were for my friend who is a lactation consultant representative of medela i wouldve never known either.....lol

glad to help :)