PDA

View Full Version : Pumping into Bags

telewill
05-05-2003, 11:38 PM
So far, I've only pumped into bottles. I want to start freezing some milk in preparation for returning to work in five weeks. What works best for you all when pumping into bags? How many ounces should I place in a bag? My DD will be three months old when I go back to work.

Thanks!

heidi_timms
05-06-2003, 01:46 AM
I found it easier to pour from the bottles into the bags. Also, I read somewhere that it's best to portion your bags in 2-3oz portions because it defrosts better and you can defrost it as you need it!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

Rachels
05-06-2003, 06:47 AM
I agree with Heidi! Also, that way you can choose what kinds of bags you want to use for storage (since not all bags work with the pumps). Honestly, though, I preferred to freeze in storage bottles. They were easier to store and stack.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

chrissyhowie
05-06-2003, 02:35 PM
This is definitely a good time for you to start freezing a small supply. I went back to work when DD was 2 months old, so I've been back full time for about a month now. I just pumped into the bottles and then poured it into bags. I think to pump directly into bags, you have to use the liners vs. the freezing/storage bags (BTW Lansinoh brand are my favorite, with Gerber being a close second). It's not recommended to freeze in the liner bags as they are not as strong. I put four ounces into each bag, as that was about how much DD would take at one feeding.

My freezer is small so bottles for freezing would have taken up too much room. The bags take up less space if they are frozen flat (make sure that ziplock is sealed!) and can then be stacked, minimizing space. Bags thaw more quickly this way as well. Just be careful not to drop the bag once it is frozen -- the impact tears the plastic!

As long as you will be pumping at work, you don't need to build up a huge stockpile (remember they are only good for up to three months). I think I had about 10 to 12 bags of 4 oz. before I started. I've probably thawed about 3 or 4 of those bags so far. Occasionally I'll freeze a new bag to maintain a small frozen supply. You'll get an idea of how much milk you'll need daily once you return to work, but it's difficult to picture how it will all come together until you actually do it (kind of like motherhood, right?;)).

Sorry such a long post! Enjoy the time you have left on maternity leave!

HTH,

spu
05-06-2003, 04:13 PM
I agree with everyone above - it's easier to pump into bottles and pour into bags. That way you can portion the amount. 2-3 oz. is a good amount. I was storing in 5-6 oz bags and even with twins, it became too much. If you want to, you can also scald the milk right before freezing and it will help prevent the cheesy smell that happens as the natural enzymes break down.

I love the Gerber Seal and Go storage bags. They are suitable for freezing. I lay each bag flat on top of another and put them into another really big freezer ziploc that ends up holding about 10 bags or so. Make sure to date the bags and circle the # of oz. prior to pouring the milk in.

Good luck!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

stillplayswithbarbies
05-06-2003, 04:19 PM
I am freezing directly in the bottles that I pump into. That way I don't have to ever pour milk and waste a few drops or take a chance on spilling. I pump, store, and feed all from the same bottles.

I had to dedicate the top shelf of my freezer for this, but it really doesn't take up much space since breastmilk only keeps for 2 weeks in a regular freezer anyway.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

Momof3Labs
05-06-2003, 05:35 PM
Breastmilk keeps for 3-6 months in most freezers (like the side-by-side or top-and-bottom that most of us have). If you have a freezer compartment that is within the refrigerator (like my grandparents' 40 year old freezer), then you are looking at only a few weeks.

Breastmilk keeps for up to a year in a deep freeze - the way to go, if you have one!

stillplayswithbarbies
05-06-2003, 05:52 PM
oh thank you! I was confused about the freezer thing, thinking all freezers that were not separate deep freezes were 2 weeks.

I found this link from La Leche League:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

telewill
05-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Thank you for the advice everyone!

Susan, pardon my ignorance, but how do you scald the milk? Does that not mess with the composition of the milk, like microwaving? I really don't know, as I am learning all of this.

Thanks!

telewill
05-06-2003, 07:26 PM
Thank you for the link.

casey118
05-09-2003, 01:55 PM
I used to pump directly into the Medela bags which could be frozen. They attach to the pump with a twist tie. This worked for me pretty well, although you had to roll the top of the bag very tightly and carefully and then stand it up right so milk wouldn't seep out the top. After tragically losing a whole bag of milk onto my office floor (yes it was as terrible as it sounds!), I took others advice from this board and started pumping into the little bottles that came with my pump (ameda purely yours). I think pour the milk into either a gerber or lansinoh ziplock bag when I get home. I then put those bags directly into the bottle (playtex nurser). While it creates more dish washing, it really is a lot easier and less messy to pump into bottles. I recommend using a funnel of some sort when pouring into the bags so you don't spill. Good luck!
HTH,
Kimberly

MartiesMom2B
05-09-2003, 08:52 PM
I usually pump into the bottle and then pour into bag. However, we received the Playtex Starter Kit and it comes with an adapter for the breastpump which allows you to pump directly into a bag and then you can store it. I really like the Gerber Seal and Go bags.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm