PDA

View Full Version : Clogged milk ducts and ill-fitting bras

csa12
05-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Hi everyone!

How does an ill-fitting bra cause clogged milk ducts? How do you know if you have clogged milk ducts?

Appreciate any feedback,
Cheryl :)

Momof3Labs
05-07-2003, 12:26 PM
This is only from my experience, and I'm sure that others will have more to add...

Anything that puts pressure on your breast and prevents milk from flowing properly may cause plugged ducts - including an ill-fitting bra, purse strap, or whatever.

When I've had plugged ducts, I could feel a small lump or rope in my breast and it was kinda hard. It was also tender - almost a bruised feeling. For me, massage while pumping (or better yet, while nursing) almost always clears the plug. You can use a warm compress or jump in a warm shower before nursing to soften up the plug and help it clear.

If the lump is hot and red and you are feeling feverish or fluish, it may have already progressed to mastitis, which I have not had (thank goodness).

Hope that you feel better soon!

csa12
05-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Hi Lori!

Thanks for the response. I almost freaked when I felt a lump in my breast and am relieved that a clogged duct is a possibility. I will try to massage it and see what happens over the weekend.

Thanks again,
Cheryl :)

sparkeze
05-07-2003, 09:58 PM
Another thing you can try is massaging the lump while nursing. That has always worked for me!