PDA

View Full Version : Orthodontic Nipples for bottles

liya
05-07-2003, 07:54 PM
I have just about tried almost every expensive bottle out there for my ds and nothing seemed to work(the gas and spit up thing)..I was just about going crazy when suddenly the ped told us it was the formula...Anyhow now that the situation is controled i used to store my EBM in the medela bottles..One of my friends gave me 2 orthodontic medela nipples, which are the same as gerber nuk ones, and we decided to try it out...The results with 1.oo bottles have been the same as the result with 5.00 bottles....My friend told me that the orthodontic nipples were better because they had to open their whole mouth and it allowed little chance for nipples confusion. Plus the hole is on top of the nipple so it means he has to work just like in the breast to get his milk...Is this all true, does anyone know anything about these nipples or use them....We have so many bottles already (avent, Dr. Brown and Playtex Premium nurser...ask me a bottle i have it and tried it lol) and i dont know what to do with all of them. They say these bottles are bad because it is easier to get the milk from here plus that whole ruining your dentures thing.....I really could use your advice .......

thanks

daisymommy
05-08-2003, 09:49 AM
I'll tell you our experience with the Gerber othodontic/NUK nipples, and what my Lactation Consultant told me. She said that these nipples were great for breastfed babies because they had to suck on them the exact same way as your breast to get the milk out. Also, they are slow, and have to work on them to get the milk out. This way, your baby doesn't get the milk quickly, and get lazy when breastfeeding, and only want a bottle.
Here was our experience. DS had a hard time latching on and breastfeeding, so we needed to supplement with a bottle because he was losing too much weight. We used the orthodontic/NUK nipples, and he had such a hard time getting anything out of them that he lost even more weight and became jaundiced. It took 30 minutes for him to get 2 oz. out! We switched to Avent bottles (which my lactation consultant recommnded as her 2nd favorite choice), and he would take 3oz. in 10-15 minutes! He gained weight, and the jaundice went away. We have stuck with the bottles ever since, and Josh is now 9 months old. So, in my opinion, I hate the othodontic/Nuk nipples!

liya
05-08-2003, 10:55 PM
thanks alot i noticed with the two ortho nipples i bought that he was having a horrible time plus lately hes been getting horribl horrible agas....i think it takes him so much time to swallow the stuff that he takes more gas than he should and hes spitting everything up....hes only drinking EBM and none of the EBM has dairy in it so it has to be the nipples...i agree i hate them also..

thanks anyways for sharing your exoerience