PDA

View Full Version : Diagosing DS's Possible Food Allergy

kfcboston
05-08-2003, 02:56 PM
I searched for posts on this and didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. Just got back from DS's 2-month appt., and it appears likely there is a food allergy at work here. I'm cutting out the major culprits for a week (dairy, egg, wheat, soy, nuts), so does anyone have any recommendations to make my diet more palatable to ME during this time? :-)

Thanks!

COElizabeth
05-08-2003, 03:45 PM
Avocado is good for a creamy taste when you can't have cheese or other dairy products. Also, I think that you need to give it two weeks before the dairy proteins completely clear his system, so you may want to stick with the elimination diet for that long. Good luck!

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

Rachels
05-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Elizabeth is right. You have to COMPLETELY avoid dairy for two full weeks-- including casein, whey, caramel color, etc. The others will get out of his system more quickly. I found that there's a learning curve to eating when you've got a food-sensitive baby. It's tough at first and then gets much easier. I miss the things I can't eat, but at this point, it's not hard to avoid them. I found seeing a naturopath VERY helpful for figuring out what I could and couldn't eat. I cut out the foods he identified when testing Abby, and within a few days had a MUCH happier girl on my hands. I also learned the things she isn't allergic to, allowing me to put soy and wheat back into my diet, among other things.

Start simply: proteins, fruits, veggies. Bread & Circus is great if there's one near you. Leet me know if you need support-- I've been there!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02