PDA

View Full Version : PIS question

SASM
05-08-2003, 03:32 PM
What is the dial in the middle used for? I am afraid to play with it. Just curious... I am hoping to find something that will help quicken my pumping experience. Something is wrong with me ~ 1 to 3 ounces in 45 MINUTES is a problem!! I am sure that it is not the pump ~ this has been going on since I have been pumping ~ I am just getting fed up with the sore nipples d/t pumping and thought I would try to do something about it. The LCs have suggested relaxing with TV or music, hot packs/showers, and massages. I was just hoping the little unknown dial may be the culprit. :-)

Momof3Labs
05-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Sharyn,

Here is how I pump, and since I started doing this, my production increased dramatically (45 minutes?? ouch!).

When you start pumping, set your pump to high speed (I put it at 5) and the lowest suction level (that middle dial).

Once your milk starts to let down, switch to a slow speed (I use 2) and a higher suction level (I set it a bit past halfway, to the highest level I can stand).

Once the letdown is over, you can go back to fast/low suction and then back to slow/high suction when the next letdown starts. Or you can just leave it at slow/high - that's what I do.

This pattern mimics most babies' sucking patterns and *should* help you increase your pumping output.

Hope it helps - let me know!!

lukkykatt
05-08-2003, 04:07 PM
It just may be the culprit! The dial in the middle is what changes the strength of the suction. Why don't you try turning it up a little bit a see what happens. Keep playing with it little by little and hopefully that will help.

Are you feeling your letdown while you are pumping? If not, you can also try taking some deep breaths with your eyes closed and think of your baby to help you relax. FYI, with the PIS, I am usually done pumping in about 10 minutes, just to give you a frame of reference.

SASM
05-09-2003, 01:23 PM
Hi Lori!

Oh...That hurt! I tried your suggestion last night and it helped a little but OMG was the nipple sore :-( I tried it for ~35 minutes and was able to express 3 ounces...a slight improvement. I will try it again tonight (couldn't stand the thought of it this AM).

Thank you!

Momof3Labs
05-09-2003, 02:15 PM
Sharyn,

It will take a few days (at a minimum) for a significant improvement - but maybe try to limit your pumping to 15, maybe 20 minutes. I know that's what I used to do. And try to cut back on the suction so you don't end up with a sore nipple - if my nipples start to hurt, I know that I've been pumping too long or using too much suction.

Let us know how it goes!

Denyse
05-11-2003, 06:54 PM
The dial is for suction strength. I'd suggest starting on low suction and slowly increasing as much as you are comfortable with. If you try to begin with really strong suctioning you are more likely to have sore nipples. Also, what I found works for me is to wake up, nurse, shower and pump. Milk supply seems to be better in the mornings (which makes sense b/c I read you produce more milk while you sleep) and the shower just stimulated production that much more. I'd also pump at the same time every day if you can. That way your body will adjust your milk supply to that.

Hang in there! I know it's so slow in the beginning and can be discouraging. I was just like that. Just keep at it and it does get better! Now I can pump 5 oz in around 10-15 mins. And I don't even pump that often any more!