PDA

View Full Version : Supplement for increasing breakmilk?

casey118
05-09-2003, 02:02 PM
My milk supply still hasn't recovered since returning to work and I am thinking about taking a supplement. My doctor gave me a prescription for Reglan (I think!) (3 times a day for 7 days) and it worked but isn't an on-going solution. I read on this board about taking Fenugeek? My SIL also mentioned taking Brewers yeast pills. Has any one had experience with either of these or can recommend something else to try? I know that I need to relax and pump often in the day, but it is tough at work!
Thanks in advance.
Kimberly

Rachels
05-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Fenugreek does work. There are lots of other options, too. TONS of water, oatmeal as often as you can stand it, and something herbal (fenugreek, blessed thistle, etc), Here's a great link for increasing supply:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/bf/galact.htm

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sweetbasil
05-09-2003, 03:46 PM
Not much to add to Rachel's post, except for a personal plug for fenugreek- it worked wonders when I was needing to increase my milk supply with DS#1....

Good luck!

liya
05-09-2003, 07:18 PM
Fenugreek..Im begining to take mine again because my milk went into a stumbble recently with ds not wanting to nurse...he just refused to take any of my breast...anyhow it does work wonders i took 3cap 3 times a day and in 72hrs it increased tremendously....some people might say that it doesnt work and that its only your mind but it worked for me.....i know what you mean about the relaxing thing its tought but you might want to try hearing music in a walkman or something because it also really does make a difference.....with fenu youll start smelling a like maple syrop this is normal...also there are some drops called more milk plus that have all the ingredients to increase milk supply but it tastes horrrrriiiiiibllleee so if you have an intolerance to horrible tasting things like me(ijust cant drink them) stay away from them....hope this works for you

good luck

Denyse
05-11-2003, 06:48 PM
Fenugreek and I've also heard Mother's Milk Tea works well, although I don't have any personal experience with either.

chrissyhowie
05-11-2003, 10:56 PM
I've been drinking Mother's Milk tea for the past few nights. I only had to pump once this past weekend, but I definitely noticed that it was more than my usual amount. Hopefully I'll see that increase continue once the work week starts. It tastes pretty good, kind of like chamomile tea with a hint of anise.

Don't forget to drink lots of water while at work. I routinely forget to drink anything during work hours and end up feeling very thirsty all the time. Definitely my milk supply suffers during those times.

One other tip -- DON'T WATCH THE BOTTLES!! It sounds so simple, but it's hard not to! I figured out after a while how to pump and still have one hand free, so I now either surf the internet (usually reading this board!) or browse through a baby magazine. This has definitely helped.

It took a little while for my body to get used to producing for the pump but it does happen. You can always post here if you need some support. Hang in there! :)

ginalc
05-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Ask your Dr. about taking Reglan again. There is also a maintenance dose if this seems to work well for you.

C99
05-12-2003, 09:53 AM
Another plug for fenugreek. From what I understand, Mother's Milk tea contains a small amount of fenugreek so it's effective, but not as effective as the capsules. Also triple the dose recommendations on the fenugreek bottle. I've heard of people taking fenugreek tinctures as well, which is what I think I am going to try next because it's the most concentrated.

BeverlyJ
05-12-2003, 05:15 PM
I have read that one of the side effects of Reglan is depression so many people are turning to Domperidone. Life's too crazy as it is to be TAKING something that makes it crazier. Ask your DR or LC.

BeverlyJ