PDA

View Full Version : Right side is producing way more than the left

agomalley
05-10-2003, 09:40 AM
My ds, Ryan, has always favored my right side. For a while, he wouldn't even take the left. He's taking it now, but it doesn't seem to be producing nearly as much milk as my right side. I've been leaking like crazy on the right side and not at all on the left. Should I always start him on the left to help things out? Also, he seems to want to eat every hour and 45 min. to 2 hours. Is he getting enough? I'm supplementing with a couple ounces of formula after he nurses 3 times a day. (The ped. told me to do that as he hadn't gained back his birth weight at his 2 week app't.) Any words of wisdom?

TIA
Anabelle
mom to Ryan
4-9-03

jubilee
05-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Well, our little guys are the exact same age, and I too am having simular issues. Logan dropped down to 8#3oz at one point, but now is up to 10#10oz just last Wednesday- so I think everything is working out now. I have seen a lactation consultant and she recommended not supplimenting, because it will be hard to ever catch up your supply if you do. So she had me start taking fenugreek which ups your milk supply. When Logan was really sick I had to get a hospital pump and found that I was getting almost double on the right side, so I can really relate. My LC said to alternate the starting sides. When it's time to start on the left I do left, right, then left again. When it's right first I do just right then left. My little guy also eats every 2 hours, for about 40 minutes. The new medication I am on, reglan, will hopefully help speed up the feeding session a bit, so I can do something other than nurse all day! :) I'd recommend seeing a LC to help you get over these hurdles, and although I still have challenges to work through, it's helped me.

Rachels
05-10-2003, 01:00 PM
The first thing you need to do is talk to LLL or a good LC! Peds don't tend to be very educated about breastfeeding, which is surprising but true. It's normal for babies to lose a bunch of weight at first, and some of them take more than two weeks to gain it back. If you're supplementing, you're actually compromising your milk supply. The more suckling at the breast your baby does, the more your supply will come up. If you supplement, your body won't be aware that he needs those extra ounces.

As for the right side thing, if you've been nursing more on the right, your body will respond by producing more milk on that side. That's fine-- your baby will get what he needs, but you might get lopsided. Nurse as often as possible on the left to help bring up your supply. Let him do his comfort sucking on the left side. You can also try fenugreek and eating lots of oatmeal, which will boost your supply.

The other thing to try is NOT switching breasts during a feeding. Your baby will get much more hindmilk nursing longer on a single breast, which has the most fat and calories. Try to extend the amount of time you spend nursing on a single side before you switch.

It's normal for newborns to nurse all the time, as yours is doing. They get more efficient as they get older, so it won't be like that forever. It doesn't reflect on whether he's getting enough.

Hang in there! PLEASE think about calling LLL to get some support from somebody who is trained in breastfeeding. You'll get much better advice, and you will ultimately protect your nursing relationship.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02