PDA

View Full Version : What is the rationale behind the infant nipple size?

gour0
05-11-2003, 04:08 PM
I'm just wondering if the small hole is what is keeping ds from taking his bottle well... Gerber makes a nipple with three holes. Wouldn't that be more like BF? My let-down is pretty strong. He often unlatches and gets sprayed in the face! Just wondering.

Karenn
05-11-2003, 05:54 PM
I don't know the rationale, but I do know that Colin took the Gerber nipple and wouldn't have a thing to do with the Avent newborn size one, and I think the 1 vs 3 hole thing might be why. I think he wasn't getting his milk as fast as he was used to. It might be worth a try.

Momof3Labs
05-11-2003, 06:27 PM
Compared to bottle nipples, bf'ing is a pretty slow flow - thus the slow-flow nippes for bf'd babies. You can certainly try a faster flow nipple and see if your baby takes it, but if you get him used to too fast a flow nipple on the bottle, he may start to get frustrated at the breast. It may not happen - but just something to think about!

nigele
05-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Stacey,

Have you tried more than one brand of bottle? He may take better to a different brand.

gour0
05-12-2003, 10:20 AM
We started with Avent, but DH had a meltdown about the leaking thing SO now I have to sell all of my beautiful new Avent bottles. Wah! DH wants to just use Gerber bottles. Sometimes he takes two ounces. Sometimes he takes one. And, sometimes he's just not interested. I just thought that since he's used to my breast spraying him like a high-powered sprinkler, he might like the three hole nipple.