PDA

View Full Version : Help! When to Start Bottle Feeding a BF'd Baby

heidi_timms
05-13-2003, 07:38 PM
Hi Everyone,

I want to introduce a bottle so DD gets used to taking a bottle when I can't be around to feed her. I am in three weddings this summer, plus bridal showers and, well, I'd like to get out every once in a while without the baby!

Due to engorgement, I have started pumping and have a good amount of milk stored already. DD is just two and half weeks old and is nursing very well. I have a fast let-down, so she nurses pretty quickly and is gaining weight.

I know that most LCs say to wait until 6 weeks to start introducing a bottle because of nipple confusion, but I've heard that it's better to start earlier because babies form an opinion about what they will and won't take by then. If DD is nursing really well, can I start with the bottle earlier? How often should I give a bottle so she gets used to it, once a day?

Thank You!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

egoldber
05-13-2003, 07:40 PM
I gave Sarah her first bottle in the hospital. She never had a problem going back and forth between breast and bottle. Since she is nursing well, if I were you, I would go ahead and start.

HTH,

brubeck
05-13-2003, 07:49 PM
I had some real issues with my daughter when she was born because she had to be supplemented with a bottle early on and then never latched properly, leading to a bunch of BFing issues. With my son I was nervous so I delayed the bottle feedings until 3 weeks. He took to it almost immediately even now gets a bottle once a day, even if I'm around.

I would definitely start before 6 weeks. It does sound like you've gotten a good start to the BFing so the important stuff is under control!

COElizabeth
05-13-2003, 11:00 PM
I'd recommend starting now or within a week or two since nursing is going so well for you. I think even more important than the timing of the first bottle, though, is keeping up with it. Once or twice a week wasn't enough for us, and James never has gotten good at taking a bottle. He may take an ounce or two, or he may not, but he has never eaten a really good meal from one! I would do once a day or at least every other day.

Elizabeth
Mom to James
9-20-02

liya
05-13-2003, 11:05 PM
Same with DS. Hese been bottle feeding since the 1st day of the hospital...He never had a problem between the bottle and the breast..I bought a bottle with a wide base so he could open his
mouth and take the bottle as he would the breast..

hope this helps...

telewill
05-13-2003, 11:20 PM
Same story here. I started pumping the first week and DH gave DD bottles during week two. She's going back and forth with no problems.

I've used the NUK nipples on regular bottles. Some people hate them, but they've worked well for us. Like the wide mouth, she has to open her mouth to get around it, which help me.

Good luck!