PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Browns Baby Bottles Vs. Avent

matzoball1999
05-14-2003, 03:58 AM
I am due in a few weeks and am trying to do some research on the various bottles that are available. Does anyone have any feedback on the Dr. Browns - especially when compared to the Avent? I have heard that the Avents leak? Any help?

thanks,

mharling
05-14-2003, 10:23 AM
I, too, have heard that the Avents leak. We have used them a few times, though, and haven't had any problems.

Mary
Mommy to Lane Michael 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550

kaitlinsmommy
05-14-2003, 03:17 PM
I use Avent bottles & have never had leakage problems. I believe there are other threads on the topic but the key is to follow the directions on the box and pull the nipple through while it is wet. I have a friend who used Dr. Browns and was very pleased. I know they are supposed to help with gas but I think there are a lot more parts to the bottle to clean.

I think it is good to have a couple bottles on hand but you may want to hold off on buying a lot since your baby may not like a specific nipple.

Good luck & congratulations!

Kim
SAHM to Kaitlin (11/30/02)

liya
05-14-2003, 09:21 PM
I used Avent bottles and they leaked big time it was horrible...can you imagine pumpimg to give EBM to your child and the milk leaking out of the sides....i got tired of it so i bought decided to use the dr brown bottles i had from my baby shower and they work like a charm i really like that they are similar to avent(a little on the wider side) but work just as well without the leak fiascos.......I mean dont get me wrong i loved my avent bottles but it really the leaks really ticked me off.... the thing that blew me over the top was i was trying to feed my baby in my nutritionist's office and milk spilled all over her rug...that did it for me...i still plan to give the avent bottles another try as sippy cups just to see....if they dont work out then i have a huge stack of them in my babys closet so lets hope they do.....

hope this helps

AndrewsMommy
05-14-2003, 09:58 PM
I tried Avent bottles too. They didn't leak, but unfortunately my son didn't like the nipples. I ended up selling the bottles on Ebay. He's now using Gerber bottles with the Nuk nipple. They are MUCH cheaper than Avent and are working fine for us. I had to have the Avent since they were "the best" and look how it worked out. So, my advice is not to buy too many of any bottles. You just never know. I never thought I'd be using the cheap bottles, but it's what works for my little guy.

Tina
Mom to Andrew 3/31/03

Marisa6826
05-14-2003, 10:27 PM
The Avent bottles only leak if you actually tighten the collar *too* much. If you tighten it just so it is closed, they are fine.

We have them and haven't had any problems since we figured out the trick. What's nice about them is that they convert to sippy cups down the line, so you're not really wasting your money on just bottles.

Haven't used the Dr. Brown's ones...

-m