PDA

View Full Version : Hyland's Teething Tablets?

Marisa6826
05-15-2003, 12:36 PM
What's the word on these? Do they work? Anything I should be careful of?

Sophie's DEFINITELY teething (biting my finger, crying, drooling, not eating as much) and NONE of us are happy about it.

I've been giving her Tylenol to take the edge off and she's still a little too young for Baby Advil.

I tried giving her one of those teething rings you stick in the fridge. At first she really gnawed on it, then she started screaming. Don't know if it was too cold or she hit a sore spot.

How long should I expect to enjoy this phase? Can't see or feel anything on her gums :(

Help!

-m

Rachels
05-15-2003, 03:45 PM
I feel your pain. Teething took FOREVER around here. I did give Abigail baby Advil before six months. It seemed to be the most helpful. Hyland's tablets do take the edge off for many babies. I actually found the Boiron teething stuff to work better. We didn't use Hyland's too much, because it's milk-based, and I have an allergic babe. Homeopathic hypericum also helps-- it's good for nerve pain. I also would give Abigail a cold stick of fennel, which is anti-inflammatory and a good texture for gnawing. You can also soak a rag in chamomile tea, freeze it, and let her gnosh that.

Hang in there! Those little buggers are CUTE when they finally come in!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

elainegl
05-17-2003, 04:31 PM
I use the teething tablets a lot. I think they do help. Usually I give the teething tablets first, then if they don't work, I give Tylenol. I'd wait on Advil till 6 months (although I agree that it works better than Tylenol most of the time). Don't be surprised if your daughter isn't actually teething. I thought my daughter was teething since she was 4 months old and she didn't cut her first tooth until 12 months!

Good luck,
Elaine

Marisa6826
05-17-2003, 09:53 PM
I "bit the bullet" and finally gave her some Advil last night (she's about 2-1/2w short of 6m). It made a big difference. I also gave her the teething tablets just to be sure.

It seems as though the pain comes and goes. For two days straight she was pretty miserable. Then she was fine during the day on the third day and REALLY yucky at night.

I guess it's just the way it goes. She does really like to chew my fingers...fine with me if it keeps the crying to a minimum!

-m

ATJ71
05-18-2003, 09:23 AM
I swear the Hyland's teething tablets. They do work or at least they do for my son. He never really took to the rings that you place in the freezer or fridge.

I did read somewhere and tried: flipping a nipple from a bottle upside down, placing it in the cover of the bottle and filling it with water. Then you freeze the nipple, once frozen you screw it on the bottle and let them suck or gum. As the water melts, it just drips into the bottle i.e. NO MESS. I suppose you could also try this with diluted juice or pedialyte.

I also bought a vibrating teething toy, first years?, I can't remember (if I go to look, my computer session will be over, baby with daddy. My son loves this, and now that he is older, he can operate it himself. They go for about 7 dollars, not cheap, but it is better than them crying. Good Luck!

ALI

Marisa6826
05-18-2003, 11:16 AM
I saw the vibrating one and thought it was just a marketing ploy. Does he like it?

Will also try the frozen nipple trick.

Thanks!

-m

Bridget in MD
07-10-2003, 03:08 PM
I too just started DD on these tablets as her first tooth broke thru when she was 4.5 months. They seem to work instantly, and were recommended by a neighbor. However, when I called my ped, the office said they never heard of them and wouldn't recommend them... Everywhere else raves about these tablets! What the heck??? Is there anything potentially harmful in them? It says no side effects and 100% natural.

TIA!
Bridget in MD =)

Rachels
07-10-2003, 04:24 PM
They're perfectly safe. A lot of medical doctors aren't well-informed about homeopathy or other alternative approaches to healthcare. It's just not offered up at most medical schools, but that doesn't make it wrong. The tablets help, and there's nothing harmful in them. Use 'em!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Karenn
07-10-2003, 05:48 PM
I asked my ped. about them. He's pretty traditional and didn't necessarily think they would work, but he was familiar with them and said that there was absolutely no harm in giving them. (Unless of course you have a baby allergic to milk.)

HTH,

ignora
07-11-2003, 12:34 AM
My mom used to give the Hyland's Teething Tablets to my little sister... 18 years ago!! She thought they were a Godsend.

Considering how long they've been around, I think someone would have heard something by now if they were dangerous.

Bridget in MD
07-11-2003, 07:06 AM
Thank you for responding to me! I just wish that doctors knew everything! LOL! I have been using the tabs when I think she really needs them, but my mom (who watches her when I am at work) is really shaky about giving them to her since her dr didn't recommend them. DD has an appointment on Aug 6th and I'll take the tabs in to show the doctor, as I really only got the opinion of a nurse practicioner (not that thier opinion doesn't count...). I guess I like having an MD's blessing... KWIM?

I have told several other people about the tablets and have gotten mixed responses, from "couldn't live without them" to "the peditrition said not to give them the tabs b/c they are not regulated by the government and you might not be sure what is contained in there (possibly barbiturates?)." (God I hope that isn't true! Wouldn't they have to list that in the ingrediants? There are ingrediants listed on the side of the box... but it all looks like natural stuff to me!)

I know every baby reacts to things differently and each parent has to do what they think is right for their baby. I just like to get as much information confirming the same things over and over again. I am also comforted that they have been around for so long. I mean, I have been taking fenugreek to increase my milk supply and shoot, that is homeopathic and on the bottle it says if you are nursing or PG, not to take it! And the fenugreek was recommended by my LC and Dr!!!

Thanks again for responding!
Bridget in MD =)

Andrea S
07-11-2003, 07:33 AM
Andrew likes his vibrating teether.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

ATJ71
07-11-2003, 09:33 AM
not to throw more views into the mix.............for teething, gi upset and earaches there is a another product that i recently just started using about 3 months ago (i started late only because i couldn't find it at any local stores) "gripe water" another all natural product that has been around for many many years. I swear it too works! i always recommend both the teething tablets and the gripe water to parents instead of traditional mylicon and oragel. ALI

Marisa6826
07-11-2003, 06:07 PM
We know ALL about Gripe Water! Have had it here in the house for months. And yes, it's AWESOME! You just need to be really cognizant of how often you give it to your babe, though, because it has a lot of salt in it.

-m

JerseyMom
07-12-2003, 09:16 PM
First of all barbituates are a controlled substance, so while Hylands aren't monitored, any product that contains barbituates has to be, by federal law. So be assured that nothing that is required by prescription is in the teething tablets.

That being said, yes, homeopathic drugs aren't monitored by the FDA, so the the quality of ingredients and the manufacturing processes aren't held to any standards. That doesn't mean this is a substandard product made in a dirty kitchen somewhere. Hylands is a very respectable name in homeopathic medicine.

This product doesn't work for everyone. It has been wonderful for my son. He tends to get uncomfortable and gnaw on his fingers and ours at night. The tablets help us to alleviate his discomfort without automatically going for the big gun pharmaceuticals.

And I can't rave enough about Gripe Water. It has helped with irritibility, hiccups and gas. It is used in Europe as a daily maintenance to baby's diets. I wish more of the US physicians were aware of such a simple and ideal product.

Kimberly H
07-13-2003, 02:32 PM
My brother-in-law is a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) and he gives teething tablets to his son so I'm planning to try them with Mia. They do the teething tablets first, then Tylenol if the tablets don't help enough.