PDA

View Full Version : Maternity Belts - yay or nay?

PupsikG
05-16-2003, 10:37 AM
I am 7 months along and find it very hard to walk now. My stomach feels like it weighs a ton, and I have back ache as well as pulling ache in my lower tummy. I am considering getting a maternity belt but am not sure if they actually work and if so, which one to get. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

nathansmom
05-16-2003, 11:23 AM
I didn't like mine. I bought it on the advice of the doctor and I wore it once. I found that walking and sitting in the pool for an hour 3 or 4 times a week worked so much better. Honestly it only took the first time in the pool for the pain to go away. The pain went away and stayed away even after getting out of the pool. I know you may not feel like getting in a suit because I sure didn't want to. I am very glad my dh made me try it.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected]

amyinNC
05-16-2003, 12:36 PM
I bought one and wasn't happy. It may just be coincidence - but within a day or two after wearing the support belt, my baby crawled up under my right rib (his head got stuck under my rib cage) - causing terrible pain (and a small scare that I may have pre-eclampsia). I can only guess that with the extra pressure under my belly - he was seeking more space. Luckily, my doula massaged him into a more comfortable position.

I take pre-natal yoga - and that has been the best relief for my back so far.

nigele
05-16-2003, 01:41 PM
I LOVED mine - it was a huge relief for me and well worth the money. I got it at BRU - here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000056WYY/qid%3D1053109746/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-5021492-8353506

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

mommyj
05-16-2003, 01:43 PM
I just want to second the idea of trying prenatal yoga. I was having horrible back and hip pain (on some days, it was so bad I could hardly move). My doctor had suggested that I buy a maternity belt, but I decided to wait. I started doing my prenatal yoga more regularly, and my back hardly ever hurts any more. I just bought a prenatal yoga tape and do it at home. I'm also really careful about having good posture, which is something I've never really paid attention to before. I'm 29 weeks along, and have had good results even with my huge belly.
I hope this helps. If not, I hope the belt or something else does. I know how miserable back pain can be.

Rachels
05-16-2003, 04:13 PM
YAY!!!!! Mine made a HUGE difference for me. I got the Loving Comfort one at BRU and can't imagine how I would have tolerated my third trimester otherwise. The difference was immediate. You could always try one on at BRU and see how it feels. It takes a day or two to get used to the girdle feeling, but the pressure was relieved on my back and bladder instantly.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

sarahok
05-16-2003, 09:12 PM
I bought one and I didn't wear it often, but if I was going to be standing and walking, it was great. It was uncomfortable to wear if I was sitting. I wore it to a wedding reception and it made me feel a lot better. I got mine at Motherhood.

sarahok

mamarabil
05-25-2003, 08:39 AM
I love mine and find if I'm going to be walking alot it takes a great deal of pressure off my back. I found mine "gently used" on eBay for $3 - so you might check there!!! I've also seen them at burlington coat factory and in the JCPenney catalog.

Good luck!!!

Mari

memedee
05-25-2003, 10:53 AM
My ffriend has a hernia in her fifth month and uses the belly bra and loves it. http://www.bellybra.com

daisymommy
05-25-2003, 09:31 PM
I agree that the Loving Comfort belly supporter is a MUST HAVE! My stomach used to feel like it would rip open if I even walked across teh room. My hips and dack were also killing me due to scoliosis. My Midwife told me to go get this supporter and wear it religiously. Boy did it ever make a difference! If I even went without it for a few hours everything hurt again. It does feel a little bulky under your clothes, but it's so worth it.