PDA

View Full Version : Eating solids and constipation

Mayan
05-19-2003, 12:20 PM
My 5.5 month old has been having a real hard time with pooping lately.
He strains and groans and finally passes very hard dark poop (almost adult like).
Last night he cried while pooping and there was even a tiny bit of blood with it (boy, did I freak out!!!).
A few hours after that poop, he had a normal poop (soft and lighter) as if there was a "plug" in his system. This has happened a few times lately.
He has been eating solids for about a month, oatmeal with breast milk and veggies (carrot, sweet potato, avocado) and some fruit (pear, bananas). He only has 2 meals a day and they are pretty small (maybe 2 spoons each?).
He is also eating about 2/3 of his milk from pumped breastmilk and about a 1/3 from formula (my supply has been dropping fast, and 100 oz freezer stash is almost gone, but that's a different story).

Am I feeding him the wrong things? Is he not getting enough liquids?
Could it be the addition of the formula and solids at about the same time that's overwhelming his system?
Any other suggestions?
Mayan
(mom to Adi, 12/04/02)

mam615
05-19-2003, 01:03 PM
Dorothy is on a similar diet except no formula and rice instead of oatmeal. She strains more than before, but poops aren't hard and no blood. I'd definitely check with your ped, but in the mean time, you might want to start giving Adi a little water after each meal. I do that and she really likes it. I think it helps with elimination. I put 2-3 tablespoons in a sippy cup, make sure she gets a few good gulps, and then let her play with it. She usually manages to get some more on her own.

sparkeze
05-19-2003, 09:05 PM
Water will definitely help. Perhaps the increase in formula intake in combination with solids is making it worse?

In our experience, some constipation is inevitable. Everytime DS upps his solids intake he experiences some constipation. And he still nurses a LOT and drinks a lot of water too. One thing that has worked for us when I see that DS is noticeably straining and only small pellets are coming out is prunes. I bought dried prunes, boiled them until they're mushy and mixed it in with something, like cereal, until he's "unplugged". :) You could also try prune juice.

HTH!

Rachels
05-20-2003, 07:34 AM
Babies often get constipated when their little bellies aren't quite ready for the foods you're giving them. Bananas and rice are also especially constipating. You might slow down and offer fewer foods only once a day at this point. You don't need solids for nutrition until after 12 months-- breastmilk or formula are enough, so if your babe is having trouble, slow down the solids.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jenmcadams
05-20-2003, 09:14 AM
Abbie started solids around 6 months and has always had a little constipation since starting on food. We have to complete avoid bananas and rice and I generally make sure she's getting some prunes every other day. Sometimes, I'll mix prune juice or jarred prunes with her cereal. We generally stick to oatmeal or the mixed cereals and I've also heard that Barley can be good.