PDA

View Full Version : Comfortable Clothes After Birth

jennifer1143
05-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Hi,
Does anyone here own any Majamas nursing tops? They're quite expensive, but do look comfortable. Is there anything similar to them with a cheaper price tag? I will be nursing the baby - but am not totally sold on nursing clothes. Would rather buy something that I could wear later on.
I'm looking for some comfortable loose-fitting clothes to wear after the baby is born - looking for suggestions...The temperature will be 80-90 degrees (I do have central air) and I will have lots of company, so I'd like either capris or sweats or something comfortable, yet decent. I really need to buy this clothing online, and very soon as I am almost due! Thanks very much!

Jennifer

blissful mom
05-21-2003, 04:04 PM
I've never heard of Majamas--I'll certainly check them out. Someone suggested to me that if you are planning on having visitors, hold court in a pretty nursing gown and robe. That way, they are less likely to overstay their welcome.

I'll look in my bookmarks and see if I have anything on nursing/postpartum wear marked. If I do, I'll post and give you the urls.

josephsmom
05-21-2003, 04:07 PM
I wore maternity tops for a pretty long time after giving birth.

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01

sparkeze
05-22-2003, 02:07 AM
Here's a link for tons of sites that sell nursing clothes:
http://www.kjsl.com/~beanmom/nursing.html

I have 2 majamas tops, the tanktop one and a dressier one, both from babystyle. Personally, I don't think they're worth the money. They're not really good for nursing in public. The best way is to pull a top up so that the baby covers most everything exposed. But the Majamas you pull down to nurse, which leaves you completely exposed! And if you don't care about being exposed I would just suggest you wear regular tops and pull them up to nurse. If you like the style though, you could always find non-nursing tops that are wrap-style and pull them down to nurse.

In my experience, shirts that are long, bulky, and really baggy are cumbersome to nursing. It's just more material to hold up. I prefer short (waist or hip length) shirts, mostly t-shirts I guess. And when it's hot you could go with tank tops too.One thing that's nice to have is a twinset. You can pull up the shell without exposing your back, plus it's something you can wear casually or more dressy if needed.

For the postpartum period though, maybe you could just get a few t-shirt/shorts or pants pajama sets. There are a lot of them out there that don't really look like pajamas, just a t-shirt and knit pants/shorts/capris.

HTH!

Debtex
05-22-2003, 02:56 AM
I am going to order this top:

www.glamourmom.com

Looks like it won't have that problem of "massive boob exposure" of the Majamas top, and will go nicely under sweaters and shirts when the weather turns cold, or under a regular button-down PJ top at the hospital. One thing, though...an LC that I talked to said "but is the baby still able to snuggle against your skin?" I just goggled at her, I'm afraid...I wasn't really thinking that was so important when I NIP. But it's something to think about.

If you do order one, it would be so cool if you would put my "Glamourmom code" in there: DEYO. It's one of those "if you refer people and they buy, you get one free." Good deal, since they're crazy expensive!

HTH,
Deb

blissful mom
05-22-2003, 11:14 AM
Elizabeth Lee sells a shirt on her website that is basically a tank top with a nice collar and it operates like a twinset. You wear it under whatever jacket or cardigan you want. I think I am getting a few of those!

mam615
05-22-2003, 01:47 PM
I agree with sparkeze. I bought a few nursing tops at Mimi and Motherhood just before and just after birth. I was really looking for something big and comfortable that would help cover me up. Well, I used them for maybe 3 months, and then I found that regular shirts worked fine, if not easier, so I bought some XL long-sleeve t-shirts at The Gap -- they have been great! After about 5 months of nursing, I could fit back into my old clothes again, so now I just wear regular size shirts -- mostly long and short-sleeve tee shirts. Button-down sirts are a pain in the neck.

BTW, the maternity shirts at Mimi and Motherhood were overpriced and not so great quality. They took forever to dry on "low" heat because they are double thickness, they are cumbersome to fold, and they shrunk up even on low heat. Next time I'd just buy large tshirts. I really liked Mimi's 100% cotton nursing bras, though. $30 each, I think, but very comfortable and they hold up well.

aggie202
05-22-2003, 04:01 PM
I just got an email from Old Navy Maternity today. . .their terry sweats are on sale and look like Juicy Couture.

Here's the link: http://www.oldnavy.com/asp/visual_index.asp?wdid=80355&MODE=B

Since they're maternity, I wonder if they'd be too big for afterwards? Maybe the drawstring would make them more versatile?

mam615
05-22-2003, 04:26 PM
I had a couple pair of Old Navy maternity yoga pants -- black stretch w/ elastic waist. I wore them for 3-4 months postpartum -- they were so comfy.

Jodi
05-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Even after nursing for 7.5 months (and still going strong), I have yet to wear a "nursing" top--I generally wear stretchy, fitted (but not *too* fitted!) shirts from The Gap or Old Navy and pull them up from the bottom to nurse, I usually also wear a lycra tank top underneath my shirts to provide additional support (I love my Bravado bras but they aren't the most supportive!) On the bottom, I almost always wear yoga pants also from the Gap or Old Navy.

When I was first home from the hospital, I wore either cute PJs from Target or some variation of the outfit decribed above.

HTH,
Jodi (Ella's mom)