PDA

View Full Version : AVENT sippy cups???

liya
05-21-2003, 06:00 PM
Are the AVENT sippy cups any good. We have tons of avent bottles!!!They seemed to give ds too many gas pains so we switched but im wondering when it comes down to plain sippy cups if they are any good??

Edited to say: The mayority of the bottles are brand new so im really hoping they are good sippy cups because i have a whole lot of them....:(

brubeck
05-21-2003, 06:14 PM
The Avent Sippy 'nipples' are great as transition nipples. The white ones are quite soft and rubbery and I know lots of people who used them to help their baby transition from a bottle to a cup. Once they are used to the white ones you can get the green ones and then go on to a hard spout sippy.

Unfortunately even though the sippy nipples are compatible with the Avent bottles, you will probably end up buying the separate sippy cups if you use that system. They are just sturdier, hold more and have great handles.

If the bottles are really brand new can you take them back or EBay them?

mspacman2
05-21-2003, 11:18 PM
I didn't like the Avent sippy "system" at all. The valves have THREE pieces (not counting the collar) and they're a pain to pick apart and wash, plus one piece has a delicate plastic stem that looks like it wants to break. It also required pretty strong suction, so my daughter didn't like it much. And they are pricey compared to other sippys. (Fortunately I got the one cup half price on the CVS website; no way was I buying any more!)

The Gerber and Playtex cups are better and cheaper.

mamahill
05-22-2003, 12:22 AM
I'm with you Linda - had a bunch of Avent bottles that Ainsleigh wouldn't take. So I bought the sippy spouts and have been using them with my bottles. They're WONDERFUL! They were a great teaching spout (don't put in the valve at first), and now Ainsleigh guzzles any liquid down. I did buy one Avent sippy cup, but I don't like it any better than my regular bottles. And I didn't find that they held more than the bottles. I have the big bottles (9 oz) and I specifically looked at the Avent sippys and found that their biggest one is a 9 oz as well. Also, you can buy handles that attach to the sippy cups and bottles. So I (finally!) feel lik I'm getting my money's worth out of my Avent system.

I don't find the spouts that hard to clean. I just pop the valves out and take the pieces apart and throw them into a basket in my dishwasher. Voila - clean valves!

I have tried the playtex sippy cup, but Ainsleigh doesn't do as well with its spout. Not sure if she's used to the longer flatter Avent or what. I'm sure if I spent time with her on it, she'd adjust, but I don't want her to switch away from my Avents!

Buy a 2-pack of the white spouts (they're softer than the green ones) and see if they work. It does take some time for the babes to get used to sucking on them, since it is a different motion from bottles. Hope this helps!

ginalc
05-22-2003, 08:25 AM
I had quite a stash of Avent bottles, too. I finally just threw all of them away. I tried the different spouts, the s, the white transition sipper-spout, the white & green sippy lids. They all leaked in one way or another.

Tried the Avent breast pump, too. Never did get it to express more than an ounce. Always able to hand express every time the Avent pump failed for me, so I know there was milk in there! Finally threw the Avent pump away and bought the Medela Pump in Style. Should have bought Medela first.

Avent won't be getting any more of my money!

gina, mom to 3