PDA

View Full Version : co-sleeper vs. bassinet when breastfeeding

Xariklia
05-23-2003, 08:13 AM
I plan to breastfeed. My friend is loaning me her bassinet to keep in my room for the first months. Is a co-sleeper the better way to go? I was wondering what your experiences have been. I've heard the bassinet could be quite cumbersome while trying to breastfeed.

ginalc
05-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Yes, I think a co-sleeper is much easier than a simple bed or bassinet for the first months.

I've had 3 different strategies with all 3 BF babies, all with similar outcomes.

With DD#1 I used a crib in the room where I slept. Baby ended up co-sleeping in a moses-style basket in my bed instead.

DD#2 had a crib in another room, ended up co-sleeping and using the pack-n-play in our room.

DS#1 (newest addition) used the Graco 3-in-1 bassinet that attached to the bed and it was the best of all options for us, until 3 months of age when he was rolling over and we stopped using it. This bassinet has a side that can stay up or roll down out of the way for easier access when you're sleeping. Great idea! Wish I'd had this with my first!

Right now we use the pack-n-play in our room. The bassinet is still attached to my side of the bed and it stores cloth diapers, clean sheets, etc. but I like the fact that it's there. I still do the co-sleeping thing when baby wakes up in the morning, but I've placed a pillow between the bassinet and where I sleep in bed. At least there is something there to keep him from falling directly to the floor if I get up and leave him for a moment (he's crawling now at soon to be 6 months).

Many Moms are not comfortable co-sleeping. I guess that I'm all for it, because I've done it with great success. Talking to other moms, I discovered that MANY families do this without ever revealing this to their friends and family.

Another option would be to invest (I know they're expensive!) in a co-sleeping bed that turns into a pack-n-play and use that in your room. The extra bassinet (your friend's) might come in handy as a safe place to let baby sleep or play in the kitchen or living room. I have used our pack-n-play SOOOOOOOOO much! They move easily from room to room, are great for travel, and can work as a toy storage area when you're done using it.

Good Luck! and don't forget to develop a good relationship with the Lactation Consultant early on. You never know when you might need them! :)

gina, mom to 3

Zansu
05-23-2003, 11:14 AM
We used the Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper, which attatches firmly to the side of the mattress, so that the baby can't get stuck between the bed and the sleeper. It conerts in to a play yard for future use. The weight limit is 30lbs, so your baby can sleep in the ARCS until s/he is actively rolling over.

We used ours for 5 months and would have used it longer, but DS started snoring, so he was transferred to his own room. We continued to use the co-sleeper for several more months for the early-morning post-feed sleep period.

The company also makes a smaller unit that does not turn into a play yard.

Having the ARCS made breastfeeding really simple. Baby cries, you pull baby into bed with you, baby nurses, you gently push sleeping satisfied baby back into co-sleeper and return to sleep. All without sitting up, turning on a light or really ever fully waking up.

HTH
Suzanne
Mom to Benjamin 5/1/02

daisymommy
05-23-2003, 11:19 AM
We had the Graco Triad bassinet/cosleeper that Gina talked about, and LOVED it! The only thing to consider is it only goes up to 15lbs. My DS grew very big, very fast. We then bought an Arms Reach Cosleeper off ebay for half the price of a new one. It was WONDERFUL and goes up to 30lbs., as well as being bigger and having higher sides on it (we still used it even after baby could roll over). I think it is much easier reaching out a hand to comfort your baby in the middle of the night without having to sit up and lean over a bassinet to get to him/her. I could also just sweep DS into bed with me whenever I wanted without having to barely wakeup, let alone sit up or get out of bed.
If you are on a tight budget, the bassinet from your friend will be fine, and still be easier than a crib down the hall. But if you have an extra $100 I'd try to get a nice used Arms Reach Reach cosleeper on ebay (sometimes you can get them new for this price!), and if you can't get one affordably go for the Graco bassinet cosleeper (Babies-R-Us has two diferent patterns now). Good Luck!

stillplayswithbarbies
05-23-2003, 11:42 AM
We are using a Snuggle Nest. It sits right on the bed with us. It's very easy to just pull baby close and feed her without even really waking up.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

mcmorfit
05-23-2003, 03:53 PM
I'll second the vote for the Arm's Reach. It is so nice to just roll the wee one over to you. We have the full sized model and have loved it.

ginalc
05-23-2003, 09:30 PM
I know that the recommended weight limit for the Graco is listed at 15 lbs. for the bassinet, but it can handle much more weight.

My 2.5 yr old (38 inches, 33 lbs) AND my 14.5 lb. 2 month old would lay in the bassinet comfortably together. I found them cuddled together on more than one occasion. So cute! :) And no signs of any tipping AT ALL! Actually, my 2.5 yr old and her 3.5 yr old friend were recently BOTH playing in the bassinet, climbing in and out, with the combined weight of 60+ lbs. Very steady and well grounded.

But overall..............I agree, being able to reach baby at the bedside is so much better than getting out of bed to find baby at night! :)
gina, mom to 3

Xariklia
05-24-2003, 09:09 AM
Thanks you guys. Gina I had no idea the Graco had a play yard with a side that rolled down so you can put it right next to your bed for easy access. That is exactly what I am looking for. I thought the arms reach was the only one. I registered for the pack n play but I will go back and make sure it is the 3 in 1 care station. Thanks again.

Denyse
05-24-2003, 01:15 PM
We also use the Graco triad bassinet/cosleeper and love it! I was surprised at the low weight limit but it is very sturdy and even though Brett is now 15 1/2 lbs, we still use it with no worries! When he's too big for the bassinet, we are going to go the less conventional route of "side carring" his crib to our bed.

memedee
05-24-2003, 10:02 PM
What do you think the weight limit is for the snuggle nest?
I think it would be easier to travel with than a pack n play

stillplayswithbarbies
05-24-2003, 11:34 PM
THe instructions don't say anything about a weight limit, just to discontinue when infant can roll over or starts to push up on hands.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03