PDA

View Full Version : Sour milk smell in cup

nigele
05-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Yuck, yuck, yuck!!! I searched and searched for the Playtex straw cup that I gave Tom last week, filled with PediaCare, which is milk-based. Well, I found it in the car and it was soooo gross! The PediaCare solidified and the smell turned my stomach. I was tempted to toss it but the cup was almost $5 so I soaked it in dish liquid for hours then scrubbed it clean. I also ran it through the dishwasher. When I took it out, it was spotless but still had that sour milk smell. Is there any way to combat this or should I just toss it? Even if it is clean and safe to use, I don't know if I can deal with the odor everytime I open the cup!

egoldber
05-23-2003, 08:53 AM
Lisa, I would let it air out for a few days. You can also try putting some baking soda in the cup, close it up for a few hours and see if that helps.

It's funny, but we were just talking at playgroup last week about the awful "finding the milk sippy after several days" thing! One of the moms said baking soda helped her.

HTH,

brubeck
05-23-2003, 09:36 AM
Could you try soaking it in some lemon juice? Lemon really helps cut the smells for me.

ginalc
05-23-2003, 10:47 AM
Bleach will clean it right up! Soak it for a few minutes, then wash it a few times. Workes like a charm!

gina, mom to 3

nigele
05-23-2003, 01:46 PM
Great suggestions - I will try them one by one until that yucky smell leaves the cup for good! (I threw some baking soda in it earlier after reading Beth's post and will let it sit for a while.)

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Caitlins Mommy
05-23-2003, 10:37 PM
I think the baking soda will work,but if it doesn't try soaking it in vinager.DH left a tupperware bowl in his car with left over tuna {YUCK!}and it smelled to high heaven.I tried everything to get the smell out,untill I asked my mom what to use.And she told me to let it soak in vinager over night.The next morning I dumped out the vinager,ran it through the dishwasher and no smell.

Good luck with the smell coming out!

Mommy to Caitlin Hope 9/28/96
Trying to give Caitlin a brother or sister

cara1
05-24-2003, 07:10 AM
Lisa, aren't you glad you weren't pregnant when you found that thing? I would've wretched for hours! Anyway, call me lazy and spoiled, but if it were me, I'd just buy a new one of the smell is still that bad after washing.