PDA

View Full Version : Evenflo EBM Storage Bottles

varsha
05-23-2003, 12:10 PM
The label on the Evenflo EBM storage bottles states that milk can only be refrigerated for 24-48 hours. Everywhere else it states that EBM can be refrigerated up to 7 - 8 days (depending on who you read).

I have been using the Medela bottles to store milk in the fridge and was planning to use the Evenflo bottles until I read this.

Is this a problem unique to the Evenflo bottles? Any feedback from other's using the Evenflo bottles would be appreciated.

Also, how fresh does the milk stay with the sealing disc? Is it better to use a solid lid instead?

TIA

stillplayswithbarbies
05-23-2003, 01:21 PM
I am using the Evenflo bottles with the sealing discs.

I went to the La Leche League website to find their storage guidelines and found this:

"Milk to be used within eight days of expression should be refrigerated rather than frozen. Not only will the milk not need to be thawed, but the immunity factors in human milk are better preserved by refrigeration. "

That is from http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug98p109.html where it also says this:

"kept at 15 C (59-60 F) - 24 hours
kept at 19-22 C (66-72 F) - 10 hours
kept at 25 C (79 F) - 4-6 hours
refrigerated 0-4 C (32-39 F) - 8 days"

I trust the La Leche League info more than Evenflo. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

nitaghei
05-27-2003, 11:08 AM
What Karen said.

I've been using the Evenflo bottles for over 3 months, and have had EBM stored in the refridgerator for upto 5 days with no problems. Evenflo's guidelines are probably drafted with possible liability issues in mind - so are likely very conservative.
HTH

Nita