PDA

View Full Version : More Pumping Questions

pinkd56
05-23-2003, 04:47 PM
I tried pumping for the first time today using the PIS and it felt so clumsy holding the horns in place. It went ok; I expressed almost 2 oz for first time it just didn't feel right.

Are you suppose to lean forward so the milk goes into the collection bottles or is it ok to sit back? It seemed like when I sat back, the milk was staying around my nipple.

Do I have to keep the shields pressed firmly to my breast while pumping or just gently? I had to stop several times to fix the shield and found I had to wipe my breast down before the suction held again.

How on earth do you breastfeed on one side, hold the baby and keep the horn in place to pump on the other side?
Thanks!

C99
05-23-2003, 06:35 PM
It's awkward at first, isn't it? You'll get the hang of it!

When I double pump, I generally sit upright or, if leaning back, lean forward every few minutes so that the milk pours through into teh collection container. Otherwise, it will cluster in the horns and leak back out down your front.

Now I pump at work and I will hold the horn against my breast until suction is established. Then, with my shirt covering the horn, I can usually let go with my hand and it will stay in place.

When I pump and BF at the same time, I feed Nate on the left and pump on the right side, holding the collection container to the side so it's sort of horizontal as opposed to vertical.

HTH