PDA

View Full Version : please help me get my sweet son back!!! VERY LONG

Sharon
05-26-2003, 02:32 PM
My son is 9 1/2 weeks and for the past week my son has been ravenous around the clock and has stopped sleeping well. He has increased his nursing sessions from 10 minutes tops to now nursing for 20 mins at a time. For the past few nights he has been up from 3:00 am - 5:00 am, screaming the whole time. Starting at around 5:00 pm in the evening, he started crying a lot, something which didn't happen until last week. He used to nap then and he looks exhausted but he just won't go to sleep and will shriek unless I hold him. The only thing that truly calms him down is nursing him!!!

Also, for the past few days, my breasts are half the size they normally are. They are just not filled with milk - does that mean I am not producing enough? I have only been able to pump out a few ounces

On top of this I'm concerned that my milk isn't rich enough and this is why he is so hungry all the time. I can't figure out what I need to eat because
a) my son can't have milk so neither can I
b)The few times we supllemented with soy formula, he ws miserable so I am also avoiding soy.
c) I have a sensitive stomach that can't handle rich foods like eggs.
d) I have been trying to shed the pounds from pregnancy and have been avoiding cake, cookies etc.
e) when I am busy I'll forget to eat but I still will not get hungry. I have been assuming I am eating enough but now I am wondering if I am getting enough calories and fat.

Sorry if this is too detailed but is this a normal amount of times to nurse. Since yesterday afternoon this was his schedule
11:30 am - nurse
12:30 pm - 2:30 nap
2:30 pm - nurse
4:30 pm - nurse
5:30 pm - nurse
7:30 pm - nurse
8:30 pm - 12:30 - asleep , nursed at 10:00 pm before I went to sleep.
3:00 am - 5:00 am - up again to eat and play,
5:00 am - 6:00 FINALLY goes back to sleep
6:00 - 7:00 nurses again
7:00 - 8:00 asleep
8:00 nurses again
8:15 - 9:00 asleep
9:30 am - at sitter eats 5 oz
11:30 - at sitter eats 5 oz.
12:30 pm - 3:30 falls asleep.

If you have any ideas on A) how to make better milk and B) how to get a baby to sleep who won't unless he collapses I would appreciate it.

Denyse
05-26-2003, 03:23 PM
Maybe he's eating more b/c he's going through a growth spurt. That doesn't really account for the sleep thing though.

The eating schedule looks pretty typical of my son, although Brett's been like that from the beginning. He nurses every 2 hours for around 20 minutes and sometimes nurses more often. I just figure he needs a snack. Make sure you are drinking TONS of water. Yes, you need to be eating, too. And, as tough as it is, keep nursing him on demand. Your body will adjust to produce more and he'll get through this rough patch. Sometimes I have days when I feel like Brett just nurses all day long and I feel very "deflated" *L* It *feels* like milk supply has dropped but it really hasn't.

For bedtime, I'm sure you already know this but make sure you establish a routine w/ baby and stick to it. A warm bath with the bedtime bath stuff and bedtime lotion works great for us! Brett wears himself out in his bath and then he gets all lotioned up and cozy in a fresh sleeper. Then we turn all the lights in the house out except a tv for a little light. He nurses and goes down. Since we've established this routine, nightime is MUCH less of a struggle and Brett sleeps better.

Good luck! I know it's tough!

liya
05-26-2003, 04:01 PM
Sounds like a growth spurt....BIG TIME!!!I know the drill..Anyhow if you think your milk isnt rich enough you can try massaging your breast when your BF him from the back to the front so most of the hind milk comes out...Do this without interupting your nipple...Anyhow my ds used to wake up every 15min so dont be alarmed, if youve been doing well with nursing and weight gain up until now there is no need for you to worry....hope this helps..If you have any other questions dont be hesitant to email me at [email protected]

stillplayswithbarbies
05-26-2003, 04:10 PM
My daughter is 9 weeks old tomorrow and this sounds like our eating schedule too except that she nurses for 30 minutes or more most of the time. And she is not waking at night. Are you cosleeping? If not, maybe he just misses you at night and wakes up to spend time with you?

As for not feeling as full, I believe this is the time that our breasts start to better regulate how much milk we need, so they don't feel "full" anymore; they are making milk on demand, not storing up extra.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

zen_bliss
05-26-2003, 04:49 PM
fenugreek capsules and mother's milk tea are supposed to be great for lactation. i just had a panic of my own and started both of these.

bnme
05-26-2003, 05:47 PM
It could be a growth spurt of just a "stage" he is going through. Hang in! Try and get him to nap before he seems past the point of being able to sleep. I read "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy child" by Marc Weissbluth, and althought I don't agree with all his methods the book really helped me understand an infants sleep needs. A swing or bouncer may help him fall asleep. You can try a pacifer too, if he seems to always wanting to suck. My DS had a big desire to suck and I think I would have been feeding him around the clock if it weren't for the binki!!

Also, don't ut pressure on yourelf to lose weight so soon! ANd try not to forget to eat -it really helps keep your energy up and new mommas need as much energy as possible.

HTH a little.

Momof3Labs
05-26-2003, 07:05 PM
I agree that it is possible that he is going through a growth spurt. But if you aren't eating enough, it will affect your supply. I don't know what foods to suggest to you, but make sure that you are taking in enough calories (I think around 2200-2300 a day is a minimum for nursing moms - someone correct me if I am wrong).

And make sure that you are drinking plenty of water (and not too much caffeine, which is dehydrating). Also, are you taking any decongestants or other medications? Sometimes those will decrease supply, too.

Good luck!

ginalc
05-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Hi Sharon,

I suggest that you contact a Lactation Consultant or La Leche League Leader as well. It really helps to be able to talk to someone over the phone and they may have some good suggestions for you, too! :)

All 3 of my babies started teething early and were sensitive to the pain early on, at about 2 months of age. Nursing frequently was one of the earliest signs of discomfort that I noticed. Perhaps this is the case with your little one, too? (At soon to be 6 months, DS is working on his 4th tooth!)

I know you probably feel like pulling your hair out, so I hope some of these suggestions help!!!

gina, mom to 3