PDA

View Full Version : Grapes

Karenn
05-27-2003, 10:49 AM
Do you feed your older baby grapes? I have read conflicting things. I know they wouldn't be good whole (choking hazard), but what about quartered? Should they be peeled?

Thanks!

sophiesmom
05-27-2003, 11:48 AM
I stopped peeling DD's (21 mos) grapes probably sometime after she turned one. However, I still chop up her grapes, and will for a long time. I was a nanny to 2 boys years back and I cut their grapes and hot dogs up for a very long time, probably til they were about 3 or 4. Better safe than sorry. :-)

egoldber
05-27-2003, 01:22 PM
I have been feeding Sarah grapes forever. Gosh, I never peeled them. Why do you need to peel them? When she was smaller, I cut them in thirds or quartered (depending on the size of the grape). Now I usually cut them in half or thirds, again depending on the size of the grape.

She occasionally gets hot dogs, and I slice those and cut the slice in half. When she was smaller, I cut the slices in quarters.

HTH,

LisaS
05-27-2003, 02:22 PM
My DD (16 months) would eat all grapes, all the time, if I let her. I do cut them - at least in half (since she's 1), sometimes quarters or round slices if they're really big (or when we're in the supermarket, I bite them in half so she can snack on them while we shop :-)

I also NEVER peeled them. Personally, I don't think I would have her eat them if they needed to be peeled - by the time I finished peeling enough grapes for a snack, she'd probably forget that she even wanted them.

Karenn
05-27-2003, 04:33 PM
Yay! Grapes at lunch today. He loved them! So glad I don't have to peel them! Thanks,

cara1
05-27-2003, 04:45 PM
Karenn, if he liked grapes, try grape tomatoes, too (as long as you don't mind mopping the seeds off his face).

sparkeze
05-28-2003, 11:23 PM
My DS loves grapes! I give them to him unpeeled, ripped into quarters (with my hands). Too bad they come out recognizably in his poop! :) Apparently the chewing motion he makes while eating doesn't do much.

AugBaby
06-01-2003, 09:58 PM
I guess that I'm in the minority. I peel them. One reason is that the skin is a choking hazard. The second is that grapes are one of the fruits that has a high exposure to pesticides. I always thought that it would be really tough to peel them, but I've found that they really do peel pretty quickly.