PDA

View Full Version : Freeze-dried fruit?

Rachels
05-28-2003, 07:56 AM
Where would I buy such a thing? Abigail has been on a fruit strike because fresh fruit is hard for her to pick up. She also won't abide being fed anything-- she has to do it herself. I discovered yesterday that she will eat the freeze-dried fruit out of cereals with gusto. I don't know if it's as healthy as fresh, but it's got to be better than no fruit at all. I found online several makers of freeze-dried fruit and veggies, but no sources to buy it. Any ideas?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
05-28-2003, 09:17 AM
If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they usually have a pretty amazing selection of dried fruits at reasonable prices. I am not sure if the fruits are freeze dried or what.

And this is probably just a phase. I would just keep offering her fruit in its usual form :) and she will likely get over it in a few days.

How about veggies? They tend to be less slippery than fruit and are easier as finger foods. Or blueberries are a good "finger" fruit that isn't terrible slippery. Just watch out for the blueberry poop the next day, LOL!!

HTH,

brubeck
05-28-2003, 09:48 AM
I don't know about other fruits, but you can always go for banana chips that you can find ant most bulk food stores.

Also, dried fruit is plentiful. My daughter loves dried apricots and pineapples (chopped for course). Just beware of raisins because they are a choking hazard.

Marisa6826
05-28-2003, 11:22 AM
Rachel-

Whole Foods has it too. It's a line called "Just Fruit" as in Just Cherries, Just Bananas, etc.

They're in little plastic tubs usually by the nuts.

-m

Rachels
05-28-2003, 03:38 PM
Thanks, I'll look at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Freeze dried fruit is crunchy rather than chewy, so it's easier for toothless babies to eat. It's also really lightweight, so it's popular as a camping food. Abigail has been on this not-picking-up-fruit thing for a few weeks now. She gets frustrated with chasing it around her tray and vastly prefers crispy things.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Marisa6826
05-28-2003, 05:02 PM
Don't know if you REALLY want a half pound of freeze dried mango, but I found this:

http://thefoodstores.com/hah/html/driedfru.htm

-m

Rachels
05-28-2003, 07:00 PM
LOL! I found some online, too-- the Just Fruit stuff. The address is www.wildernessdining.com . I'll order some from there if I can't find it at Whole Foods.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
05-28-2003, 07:16 PM
Have you tried outdoor stores for camping food? Like REI, Galyans, Eastern Mountain, Hudson Trail Outfitters???