PDA

View Full Version : Any nursing Moms out there taking allergy or asthma medicine?

nigele
05-29-2003, 08:31 AM
This weekend, I had an asthma attack which threw me for a loop. I haven't suffered one in ten years and thought I was scott-free. My doctor prescribed an Albuterol inhaler for the asthma as well as Allegra for allergies. I hate to take yet another med while nursing but I have to at least use the Albuterol as I'm out of breath. I'm a bit torn on the Allegra. I'm pretty sure it will help the asthma but Dr. Hale's book rates it as a 3 (1 being the safest medication to take while nursing, 5 being unsafe.) I so wish it had a rating of 1!

Does anybody else take allergy medicine while nursing?

egoldber
05-29-2003, 08:36 AM
I took Claritin while nursing. Some people find that it affects their supply, so you may want to think about taking fenugreek too. I had no problems and I am so miserable without it, that not taking it wasn't an option for me.

HTH,

MinnieMouse
05-29-2003, 09:16 AM
I have SEVERE seasonal grass allergies and take Allegra, Rhinocort (nasal inhaler..have taken Vancanase and Bencanase as well) and Patanol(eye drops). Dd is now 22mo and I took all three my third trimester and last spring as well as currently.

My allergist specifically changed my nasal inhaler from Nasonex to Vancanase then Bencanase (now Rhinocort) because they were tested for Preggo women. Last spring was the touchiest for these drugs since I was still nursing dd and that 7-11mo window is rough for pumping (I work full time) I actually took the Allegra sparingly since it did have a horrible effect my milk supply. The nasal inhaler and the Patanol seemed to have less effect on my supply.

It's a difficult decision. I know for me my allergies are debilitating...I get allergic conjunctivitis and my eyes itch and hurt so much I need to pull them out of my head. Even w/ all three meds I still can't wear contact lenses for 4-5months out of the year! You have to weigh the pluses of the meds (you can actually breathe!!) vs what effect it will have on your supply and if it can get through to your child. Hale is a great resource...I would also ask over at the breastfeeding and working & pumping boards at parentsplace.com. There are tons of nursing moms at both places that may have BTDT.

HTH

Christine

Karenn
05-29-2003, 10:09 AM
When I talked with the Lactation nurse about this, she told me Allegra was OK to take, so I have taken it on occassion. I haven't had any problems with it. (I'm curious now though if the nurse looked at a different book, or if she just decided to make the judgement call for me...)

mcmorfit
05-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Lisa,

So sorry to hear about your attack. I'm scotch free all year with the exception of July. I'm currently taking Albuterol when needed and hope that will help me in the summer. I was taking Slowbid, but was taken off it while preg. as it hadn't been tested on nursing. I hope something can help.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-29-2003, 06:10 PM
I am about to start taking my Flonase again after being without it the whole pregnancy. I am looking forward to being able to breathe again!

Someone on the breastfeeding Yahoo group looked it up in Hales and found it was okay. I hope it does not affect my supply.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

liya
05-29-2003, 06:39 PM
I just went to my pneumologist today...I have severe asthma and im taking everything you can think of: Avacot, Proventil, Allegra, and Cypro to treat my symtoms. I recently found out that i have very damaged airways so this is my only shot..She said that it was fine and she even confirmed it with a IBLC certified DR...so its ok

acingit
05-29-2003, 08:26 PM
I have had to stay on my asthma medicine my whole pregnancy, plus use flonase since my congestion has been so severe. My doctor felt there was more danger to the baby if I stopped the medication because I would be reducing the oxygen available to the baby. She also confirmed that I needed to stay on the drugs while nursing my baby. This is my pulmonoligist, and she discussed it with my OB. As the mother of three children, whom I have known for 20 years, I trust her judgement. I take albutorol as needed, serevent and pulmicort (she preferred the latter over flovent while pregnant, because more studies have been done). Hope this reassures you.
Barbara

nohomama
05-30-2003, 05:02 AM
Lisa,

I can't comment about the Allegra, having never researched or taken it, but you should feel comfortable using your inhaler. I've talked repeatedly about using Albuterol and Flovent inhalers while nursing with my midwives, my G.P., as well as a good friend whose an R.N (labor & delivery) studying to become a C.N.M., and all have assured me it's safe. They're steroids but they're inhaled steroids and how a drug is administered does make a difference. My feeling has been that Lola is better off with a little steroid in her breast milk than with a Mama thats blue because she can't breath.

I hope your asthma lets up soon and that your able to find a drug that's both effective in treating your symptoms and that you feel comfortable taking. I'll be interested to hear what you ultimately end up doing.

Take care,