PDA

View Full Version : I used one of the nursing comebacks!!!!

nigele
05-30-2003, 09:35 AM
I'm so proud of myself! I was chatting with an older neighbor yesterday and she tilted her head forward and tucked her chin down like I was doing something naughty and asked me if I was still nursing. This is about the fourth time she has done this to me. In the past, I've always answered with a simple yes. WELL, this time, I raised my chin up and said "Of course! The experts recommend that you breastfeed babies until they are at least one year old." Her eyes widened and she said, with honest curiosity "Really? I didn't realize that!"

brubeck
05-30-2003, 09:46 AM
Whoo hoo Lisa! You go girlfriend! :-)

stillplayswithbarbies
05-30-2003, 10:01 AM
Way to go! I'm proud of you, and hope that I can be as assured when I get to that point and someone asks me. :)

To get ready for the second year . . . you can tell her the World Health Organization recommends nursing for 2 years at least. :)

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

ginalc
05-30-2003, 10:54 AM
That is awesome!

I've also experienced pressure to wean my 2.5 yr old, especially from well-meaning family members and friends. (no pressure yet to wean my 6 mo. old!) Formula companies really did a good job teaching Moms of my parent's generation that BFing didn't provide enough calories and nutrition to sustain healthy children. Hopefully, there's enough support today to make it easier for new Moms to make it through the tough times!

Keep up the good work!!! :)

gina, mom to 3
BFing for 4 yrs. and counting

Rachels
05-30-2003, 11:54 AM
Yay! Good for you! Lately I have been responding to that with, "Of course!" as though it were silly to think I would have weaned by now.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

parkersmama
05-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Good for you!! A big pat on the back for you!!!

stella
05-30-2003, 02:34 PM
Great comeback! I think that women of that generation (like my grandmother) really just don't know the latest research and recommendations.

My grandmother gave me a hard time back when my older child (now almost 2) was 9 months for still bfing him.

It burned me up and I was so defensive! But your answer was courteous and informative and like she said "I didn't realize that."

I just don't think it's anybody's business. I mostly discuss bf with my other mommy friends - comparing experiences, etc, like any other topic at our playgroup, some of which arenot appropriate to post here. LOL.

Good Job on your response!

cara1
05-30-2003, 05:07 PM
Funny, the person who seems to question my extended nursing the LEAST is my 92 yo grandfather...

mamahill
05-30-2003, 10:30 PM
High-five, girlfriend! Be proud of yourself - you should be!

spu
05-31-2003, 11:57 AM
Another big high-5!!!
Funny how nosy neighbors (and everyone else!) can be, esp. with this! The way I'm going with my 2 babies, they're nursing so frequently even at 10 mos, that no one can imagine them stopping.

I tell people when they ask if we're still nursing, "yes, and it's going sooo well now!" It kind of throws them off.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

MartiesMom2B
06-01-2003, 11:51 PM
Hooray Lisa!!! Good for you.

People are asking me how long I plan on BF-ing. I just say a year, I don't want to buy formula, but your answer is so much better.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm