PDA

View Full Version : Tips for leaky Avent bottles?? or suggestions for different bottles?

rosaphile
06-01-2003, 02:16 PM
We have tried loosening the collar, I'm always careful to pull the nipple firmly into place, we fiddle with the danged things constantly and it seems like random chance whether we get one to work without leaking all over the place - real fun at 3AM! Does anyone know of any other tricks I can try to get the leaks to stop? I'd hate to have to go out and buy a whole new set of different bottles, but the leaks are driving me nuts!

If I do switch to different bottles, any suggestions what kind? My son is the one who uses the Avents and he has never had any problems with burping/spitting up (we use Dr. Brown's for my daughter because she does have a lot of feeding problems).

August Mom
06-01-2003, 05:37 PM
Have you tried wetting the nipple before inserting it? Sometimes that helps create a suction and prevent leaks.

BTW, nice to see someone else from Ohio. :)

chrissyhowie
06-01-2003, 08:35 PM
After I wash the nipples and collars, I pull the nipples into place right after I've rinsed when they are still wet. I then put them on the drying rack. After they are dry, I put the lids onto the nipple/collar before twisting them onto the bottles.

Apparently the bottles come with directions. Someone actually read them (can you imagine that?! ;)) and posted what we are supposed to do with them in an old thread. I've used that method ever since and haven't had a single leak. Thank goodness for these boards!

Marisa6826
06-01-2003, 11:13 PM
We have found that sometimes the collars get loosened or tightened when taking off the cap. Usually we just loosen and re-screw the top just before feeding Sophie.

And yes, try to assemble them when they're still wet. It makes a difference.

The Avent website has some good tips too.

Good luck

-m

parkersmama
06-02-2003, 06:12 PM
When I bought my first Avent bottle about 6 years ago, you could only get them at fancy-shmancy places and that store had an instruction sheet they gave you with the bottles. I followed their directions and rarely had a problem. Here's what to do:

Don't bother assembling the cap/nipple/ring until you're actually putting the milk in the bottle. I just kept them in separate plastic baskets in the cabinet ready for use. First, moisten the nipple with tap water, mainly around the base. Then insert the nipple in the ring until you feel the "pop" letting you know it's in place. Next, put the cap on the ring/nipple combo. Fill the bottle and take the assembled cap/ring/nipple and put them on the bottle. Tighten until you feel light resistance and stop! Do NOT overtighten. Overtightening causes leaks.

HTH!

MamaRox
06-03-2003, 01:30 AM
WOW....the mystery is SOLVED! This is my first baby I HAD TO bottle feed. I didn't want to and these darn leaky AVANT bottles have made me crazy and still have me mourning to be able to nurse this baby for 5 months now. I will try these tips.

When I feed him, I cuddle him up to me as close as if I were nursing him and it is SOOOOOOO FRUSTRATING when I pull him away and we are both soaking wet and I never knew because we were so warm until that air hits the wetness on our clothes.

Thanks for the tips....

Roxann

rosaphile
06-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Thanks from me, too! I will try these suggestions.