PDA

View Full Version : Cold Medicine & BF

jd11365
06-01-2003, 02:53 PM
I feel a cold coming on...I guess I'm getting run-down having a 4 week old...lack of sleep/food/sanity. Normally I would take a shot of NyQuill or some echinacea (sp?) when I first feel it coming on (like now) but I don't want to interfere with my bm. Do I just suck it up or is there something safe I can take that won't effect the baby?
Thanks!

Momof3Labs
06-01-2003, 06:58 PM
If you take something to help dry up your nose/sinuses, it will also decrease your milk supply. You might want to call your doctor or lactation consultant - there is a book with medications listed and their effect on breastmilk, the LC should have this book and be able to look up something for you.

Hope that you feel better soon!

Rachels
06-01-2003, 07:07 PM
I've had a few colds during which I just couldn't sleep at ALL without a decongestant, and what I did was try to avoid them during the day and then take them at night. You can also take Fenugreek or Blessed Thistle to boost your milk supply while you're taking them. Also, make sure you're drinking TONS of fluids. Afrin Sinus also works wonders, but you can only use it for about two days. Feel better!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jd11365
06-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Thanks...I don't have a LC...wish I did...just help from the boards which is great since I don't have one...

Quite frankly, I have PLENTY of milk...I actually have to pump some off first before feeds or dd chokes and wear double breast pads due to leaking. I just don't want to hurt the baby with meds...