PDA

View Full Version : Gerber First Sippy Cup & Black Gunk

lukkykatt
06-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Hi!

I have a silly question for those of you who have used the Gerber First Sippy Cup (the little one with the handles). Are you supposed to take the handles off when you wash the cup? If so, how do you do it?

I noticed today that there is a *tiny* build-up of black gunk between the handle and the bottom/side of the cup. I saw it when I looked down into the cup, the way you would when you would pour something in. I have only used this cup about 5 times, and have always washed it with the handles on. Even though it is underneath the cup, I was still pretty disgusted about this being there, and would like it out!

I tried to see if the handles come off, but couldn't figure it out.

TIA!

brubeck
06-03-2003, 08:54 AM
My Gerber first sippys are about 2 years old so it's possible they are a different model but I don't think the handles come off. I have never had black gunk around the handles on mine although I occasionally get a faint brown line in a circle around the valve. I just scrape this out with my fingernail before popping the entire thing in the dishwasher.

You could try calling Gerber and asking what's going on. Their help line is pretty good.

daisymommy
06-03-2003, 09:18 AM
Your cup may be defective. The handles on Josh's cups (we have three), don't come off, and I've never had a problem with any build up or black gunk (I do put them in the dishwasher). You may want to toss the cup and get a new one. BTW, Gerber sends me coupons frequently, as I am on their mailing list, and I've gotton 2-3 $1 off coupons for sippy cups. You may want to join their list via the website.

cara1
06-03-2003, 01:30 PM
I've noticed food building up around the rim. It's on the outside underneath the plastic part that also contains the handles. I tried to pull off that plastic part, but it doesn't come off. By the time DS started using this sippy cup (13 mos), he handled the sippy cup without handles equally well. So I think I'm just going to toss it and buy a few more of the Gerber cups without handles.