PDA

View Full Version : Nursing and snacks

Karenn
06-03-2003, 11:38 AM
For those of you who are nursing a baby that's also eating a fair amount of table food, do you also offer table food snacks? Or, do your nursing sessions count as "snacks"? At almost one year, he always eats at least breakfast lunch and dinner and usually nurses 4-5 times a day too. Often I'll give him table food snacks as well, but I've been sort of random about it and was wondering what others are doing.

Thanks!

nigele
06-03-2003, 02:21 PM
Tom gets nursing snacks although I have recently thought of trying to introduce some food and a sippy for one or more of these. Tom nurses about the same number of times as Colin, plus twice during the night (ugh!)

sparkeze
06-03-2003, 09:45 PM
My DS gets food throughout the day and at adult mealtimes. Generally his snacks are things like a piece of bread w/some type of spread, dry cereals, crackers, fruit, or cookies (like fig newton type). I usually put a bowl or plate of something on the floor in the living room, where he plays, and let him eat however much he wants. A lot of it gets on the floor but I put our hand vac to good use! :)

He also nurses about 6-8 times during the day. I don't count those as snacks though...unless I'm feeling bad about not offering enough food that day! But he eats like a horse and still keeps thinning out so I figure he'll eat what he needs as long as I keep offering him foods.

AugBaby
06-04-2003, 12:18 PM
I always try to keep snacks out in an easy-to-reach place (our coffee table or low shelf) so that dd can help herself whenever she wants something to munch on. I'm still nursing her about every 1.5- 2 hours and she's 22 months. Some nursing sessions are longer than others, depending on if she's teething or fighting off a cold. I also offer other snacks that have to be prepared if I feel that she didn't eat too much at one of the main meals.

I like having something accessible that she can help herself to, just in case I missed her cues. Can you tell I'm a first-time mom?!