PDA

View Full Version : I need a detailed list of bf supplies...

KimberleyDawn
06-04-2003, 09:05 AM
My SIL is due in Sept. and wanted me to ask you ladies what she need for bf (books, clothes, creams, equipment...).
She has nothing yet and also isn't very knowledgeable (neither am I) about bf so keep that in mind.
Thank you so much for any help,
Kim

posterelle
06-04-2003, 09:28 AM
My favorite book is by Jack Newman (don't remember title, but it's v. good). I wish I had bought more shirts that work for nursing b4 I gave birth -- what I like are tops that are loose enough to wear w/out a bra, but not so big that they swamp my son's head when I nurse. It's good to have some nursing pads & nursing bras on hand, so you don't have to scramble after baby arrives. (but I did have to scramble, & it wasn't such a big deal)

bnme
06-04-2003, 09:34 AM
The basics:
-Lansinoh cream
-Comfy place to nurse (glider or spot on couch)
-Pillow of some sort -I used a regular bed pillow, boppy didn't work for me for nursing)
-Shirts, PJs that open down the front
-Nursing Bra - I had the sports bra type (Only bf for 10 weeks)
-Some place to put feet up (stool or box works fine)
-A bottle or two, if she is supplementing with ebm or formula, or "Just in case"
-nursing pads..for leaking

HTH a little

lisams
06-04-2003, 10:52 AM
The above list is great!

I would add to it a good pump and having the local LLL or lactation nurse phone number handy.

Lisa

mharling
06-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Great list! Just wanted to mention that I have the Dr Sears bf-ing book and like it a lot. I would also have some thinner receiving blankets on hand. I use them rolled-up occasionally as a prop for either ds's head or my breast if I'm nursing in the side-lying position. I definitely recommend a bf-ing class. Mine was at our hospital and in addition to the obvious, I learned about services provided by the hospital for the stay as well as afterwards.

Mary
Mommy to Lane Michael 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550

stillplayswithbarbies
06-04-2003, 12:46 PM
All you really need are breasts. :)

A nursing pillow like the Boppy or My Brest Friend is useful. (I love the Boppy hate the MBF). But you can just use bed pillows or rolled up blankets.

Lansinoh for tender nipples is helpful at the beginning.

She should get and read the books now, and attend a breastfeeding class. Also attend a La Leche League meeting while still pregnant.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

C99
06-04-2003, 08:40 PM
For BFing books, I recommend The Nursing Mother's Companion and So That's What They're There For.

Also, don't know if anyone mentioned this, but fenugreek capsules or Mother's Milk tea could be helpful and some lotrimin cream in case she gets thrush.

spu
06-05-2003, 07:55 AM
That's wonderful that she's taking the initiative in advance to become more prepared and informed. La Leche League welcomes moms-to-be and I highly recommend attending a few meetings in advance of the baby's arrival. I wish I did, but I go now (and still go even at 10 mos!). They can give you real good expectations as to the first few weeks which can be the most trying on a new mom.

It's great that she has you as a support person too! Family and support people are welcome at LLLs meetings too. If there's not a group near her, she could try to meet with a Lactation Consultant in advance too. Sometimes the hospital that delivers the baby will provide this free of charge.

Mothering.com is another great website and has a ton of info on breastfeeding.

As far as what she'll need right away:
1. lots of pillows
2. lots of patience
3. lots of support from spouse and family
4. lots of praise!

and of course, we're all here for her too!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

KimberleyDawn
06-05-2003, 09:18 AM
Thank you for the wonderful information!
Kim

votre_ami03
06-06-2003, 01:37 PM
Just wanted to say thank you to the OP for posting & all of you wonderful ladies for the tips too! I am currently 33 weeks pg, planning to BF & this is all new to me.

Christy
EDD - 7/26
Boy! Nolan

Melanie
06-06-2003, 07:12 PM
I'll probably duplicate some of the other suggestions, but this is what we 'needed' or wished we'd had from the start.

-The phone number of a Lactation Consultant whom you've already spoken with and know will come to place of delivery---just in case.
-Boppy
-Nursing stool
-Pillows
-Lanisoh
-Nursing Bras that you can unhook with one hand (don't buy until last month)
-Nursing tops (fyi-after a while I just preferred short tops that I can lift rather than futzing with the openings)
-Nursing PJs/gown if you like
-Lots of breastpads. Make sure they have no plastic in them so they are more breatheable
-Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (book) or Dr. Sears Breastfeeding book
-DO NOT TAKE THE FORMULA FROM THE HOSPITAL b/c if baby is crying at 4 am and mama is tired and it's sitting there all ready...ugh...been there...
-Waterproof pad for under mama when she sleeps at night in case she leaks in sleep or BFs in bed.
-If she's large-busted...rolling up receiving blankets/washcloths to put under breast is very helpful.
-Try not to give pacifier or bottle in first month.