PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of the Medela Manual Breast Pump?

Caroline1124
06-05-2003, 10:50 AM
I plan on being a SAHM but want a pump so that my husband can take some of the night feedings, plus I'm not sure I will be comfortable bf-ing in public.. does anyone have any experience/comments about the Medela Manual Breast Pump? Does it really work with most standard bottles? Ease of use? Any comments or suggestions are welcome, including any suggestions for a better pump to use.. I liked this one b/c it claimed it could be used with any standard bottle.

ginalc
06-05-2003, 12:52 PM
I'm torn as to what to advise. I have BF 3 babies with success and I've used many different pumps. The best pump I've used is the Medela Pump In Style and it comes with the Medela Manual pump as well. I've tried the Medela Hand Pump and it is do-able for occasional use. If you're serious about DH taking a frequent feeding, splurge and get a better pump like the Pump-In-Style.

Many Moms on this board suggest the Avent hand pump but I was never able to get it to work. I feel like I wasted the money I spent on the Avent.

Why get a better pump like the Pump-In-Style? Lots of reasons!
1. You have better things to do with your time as a SAHM than pump milk.
2. When you NEED to pump, you'll want relief as quickly as possible.
3. It's worth it! You can easily pump both sides in less than 30 minutes, usually 10-15 does it for me.
4. It's the only pump my local hospitals sell.
5. If anything goes wrong with the pump in the first year, the company will overnight you a new one. You mail the old one back at your convenience.
6. The Traveller breastpump comes in a handy backpack that is really nice and convenient to take along. I've ended up pumping in the back of our minivan on more than one occasion (like in the parking lot :) ). Very easy to do, discreet, and fairly quiet. I've pumped at my In-Laws several times quickly and quietly without anyone being the wiser. (babies never seem to nurse enough when we're away from home - too much distraction!)
7. You still get the manual pump in the kit.
8. You can find the PIS on-line for much cheaper than you can buy it in a store or at the hospital, just be sure to keep your receipt so that the warranty still stands.
9. The pump itself is very easy to use and keep clean with only 5 parts to wash and store - AND the bottles are compatible with standard sized bottles.

Why would I be torn in making this suggestion? It was REALLY hard for me to convince myself to spend that type of money on a pump. I wasn't so sure that I really needed a better pump and it was hard to convince myself that I would get use from it as a SAHM. I paid full price at the hospital (no sales tax) but I've gotten so much use from it, I think it was worth every penny. It's expensive, but it really is the best pump I've ever used.

The final "straw" for me was Mastitis. After the birth of my last baby I developed Mastitis 3 times in the first 26 days. I was exhausted taking taking care of (and nursing) a newborn baby and a 2 yr old, and I had way too much milk. After calling DH for the ump-teenth time to ask him to come home so I could rest and recover, he suggested I just "buy the DERN thing" so that I could better control the supply/demand issue and he could get back to work. I was able to empty a side completely with the pump, in a very short period of time and he returned to work. (thankfully! :) )

Good Luck in your decision!

gina, mom to 3
BFing for 4 yrs and counting!

chrissyhowie
06-05-2003, 01:41 PM
I'm pretty sure all pumps available will be compatible with standard bottles. Even the Avent Isis comes with a collar which makes it able to have standard bottles put on without difficulty.

I agree with Gina that if you really want to have hubbie do more than just an occasional feeding, have milk to take with you when you are out, etc., consider a good double electric pump.

That being said, you may want to hold off on investing in a pump like that until you figure how much you might be using it. I definitely would not buy the Medela Manual pump beforehand specifically because it would be part of the Medela PIS set.

If you want to get a pump beforehand, I personally think the Avent Isis is a nice one. I have no problems using it and it can be used one-handed, unlike the Medela manual. It's good to have a manual option even if you own an electric because situations sometimes arise where an outlet may not be readily available. I do use both my electric (I have the Ameda Purely Yours) and the Isis regularly depending on the situation.

HTH,

Caroline1124
06-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the advice..

My hesitation in buying the PIS was the price, as well as the fact that I don't even know how well I will be able to breastfeed anyway, I know some mothers have problems and I don't want to be stuck with an expensive pump that is useless to me. On the other hand, the Medela Manual is about 1/3 the price of the Isis pumps, so I don't want to invest that much if I end up needing an electric anyway.

I didn't realize the Medela required 2 hands. If anyone else has anymore suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

ginalc
06-05-2003, 09:54 PM
Hi again, Caroline,

Another thought is that you really don't need ANY pump at all at first. I nursed my 1st baby without any pumping until she was 6 months old. I forgot to mention that in my LONG post. To BF, you really only need the right hormones and a baby. :)

It's nice to consider delegating a feeding or 2 to DH, but I was never able to do so. Never minded getting up in the middle of the night. Actually enjoyed the quiet time just holding and enjoying the new baby. I still only pump for comfort. Only 1 of my 3 has ever taken a bottle.

gina, mom to 3

chrissyhowie
06-06-2003, 12:55 AM
What I did was register for the Avent Isis. I am a full time WOHM so even though I knew I would eventually need a double electric pump, I didn't want to buy it before I knew if breastfeeding would work. I thankfully did happen to receive the Isis as a gift off of my registry.

I really like the Isis pump and probably would have been happy to use it as my only pump if I was only pumping occasionally. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you could start with a pump like this and see how it goes.

If you later decided you wanted an electric pump, I don't think it would be redundant to have both since I think the Isis pump is far superior to the Medela manual. If breastfeeding didn't work out, used Isis pumps sell on Ebay for around $20-30 dollars. If you wanted, you could start with getting a used one and then just sterilize it since all the parts are sterilizable.

Hopefully someone else will be able to provide you a review of a different, less expensive manual pump too.

HTH,

AngelaS
06-06-2003, 05:08 AM
I have two kids and I've bf both of them and the manual Medela pump is all I've ever owned. I was a nanny BC, and the pediatrician I worked for, pumped for her 3 kids, every day, at work, with only a manual Medela, so I figured I didn't need any more either. lol

It works well. You adjust the suction, put the shield on just right and start pumping. (read the book, who knew pumping w/the hand on the same side as you're pumping makes a difference! LOL) I've never had trouble either reliving myself w/it or pumping dry for a feeding. It's easy to use, easy to clean and CHEAP! For pumping the occasional bottle, it's awesome! :D

ginalc
06-06-2003, 07:42 AM
How clever to sell the Avent on E-Bay! I just got fed up with mine and threw it all away on trash day.

I wonder if breast size and shape makes a difference? I think the Medela just had a better fit for me. When I'm "full to the max" I barely fit a C cup.

gina, mom to 3

posterelle
06-06-2003, 08:25 AM
I agree -- I have the Pump In Style, but I take the manual along for long outings, or when I go out of town, & I've been surprised at how convenient it is. If you're not positive that you're going to bf for a long time, you may not want to spend the $. (ultimately, though, my experience is, over & over again, that I just don't know what I want or need until it happens . . . which is a hard way to shop, i know!)

ginalc
06-06-2003, 02:45 PM
Hi Caroline!

My GF has a unused Avent Isis Hand pump that she has never used that she wants to get rid of for postage and $10. She ended up getting the PIS and using that instead. If you're interested, e-mail me [email protected]

gina, mom to 3