PDA

View Full Version : Pump for occasional bottle?

RB1
06-09-2003, 12:55 PM
As I read the thread on when you can start to bottlefeed a BF baby, I couldn't help wondering what pumps all of the moms use who bottlefeed expressed milk for their once-a-day or so bottle? I'm 36 weeks and hope to give the occasional bottle of expressed milk, but don't know what pump would be the best choice. (I will become a SAHM once baby arrives, so I won't have need to pump while at work.) Did you invest in a good electric one (eg. Medela Pump in Style)? Or have you found a less expensive manual works well? I am tempted by the electric because I've heard they work really well, but I'm not sure if I should spend that much money for a once-a-day (or less) bottle.

Also, is it true that you shouldn't use a 2nd hand personal pump or can they be sanitized adequately?

Thanks for your help.

Rebecca
EDD 7/8/2003

stillplayswithbarbies
06-09-2003, 02:58 PM
I will be going back to work when she is 4 months old, so I got an electric pump, the Ameda Purely Yours.

I recently had an issue where hubby put parts in the dishwasher that weren't supposed to go there, so I had to go buy a manual pump while I wait for replacement parts to arrive.

The Avent Isis is nearly as good at getting the milk out, and it is more comfortable. The only downside is that you can only pump one side at a time, so it takes twice as long. But if you are only using it for an occasional bottle that would be fine. You shouldn't need an expensive electric pump.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

chrissyhowie
06-09-2003, 03:11 PM
I would recommend holding off on purchasing a double electric pump right away since they are expensive. You first should establish breastfeeding and then see how much you might use it. It would be a shame to spend that much and then have it sit idle.

Consider first getting a manual pump. I really like my Avent Isis. It is a little more costly than some of the others, but I far prefer it over my Medela manual (It comes with the tubing set of the Medela Pump in Style. I admit it works just fine though.) If you find you would like a double electric pump later, it still would not be redundant to have both types, as sometimes situations may arise where it would be more convenient to use the manual.

As for second hand pumps, the issue arises because certain pumps have parts that cannot be sterilized. Most often this applies to the tubing of the Medela Pump In Style, as this cannot be boiled and could have in theory come into contact with someone's milk. That being said, I don't think there has ever been a report of someone actually transmitting any infection in this manner. The risk is pretty infinitesimal, but the idea of it is what if most unappealing.

The design of the Ameda Purely Yours avoids this issue as all parts that could have touched someone else's milk can be boiled and sterilized. Manual second hand pumps won't have this issue either, as all parts could be boiled and sterilized. So it comes down to if you are comfortable with the idea.

Sorry so long! Hope that helps you a bit.

etwahl
06-09-2003, 04:41 PM
Hi Rebecca. I am a SAHM and had decided before having DD that I wanted the best pump, because I thought even though I was only pumping occasionally, I wanted it to be comfortable. Well I then invested in a Whittlestone pump (cost me $270) and it didn't work AT ALL for me. They refused to give a refund, so I was stuck with a $270 pump that did nothing for me. In desperation, because I was worried DD wouldn't take the bottle, I ran to Target and bought an Isis hand pump for $45. Got it home and pumped 4 ounces in less than 10 minutes that first time. The isis is less comfortable than the whittlestone, but then again, the whittlestone didn't work! The only discomfort I feel really is when the pump isn't centered on my breast, it feels like it's tugging to the side a little...so I just adjust it and voila!

I LOVE the Isis hand pump actually. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world right now. For one, because it's portable...I took it on the road with us when we had to travel. For two, because it pumps so fast. The whittlestone worked 3 times for me, and each time it took AT LEAST 20 minutes to pump 4 ounces (at least). The Isis has never taken more than 10 minutes...once I even pumped 4 ounces in like 3 minutes flat. With a baby who is high needs, I honestly don't have time to sit and pump for 20-40 minutes, which is why I like the isis. Plus, I can walk around while doing it (say if I need to go put the binky in her mouth, talk to her, what have you). I literally can sit on the kitchen floor with her in her bouncy and talk to her and sing to her while pumping... With the electric, you are bound to the one spot and cannot move around.

Also, at first, I thought, this pump is going to kill my hand squeezing all the time, then Lisa advised me that I can hold the pump handle in, and it will continue to take the milk...which works! So it's even easier than I first thought.

Good luck on your choice. But as Whittlestone informed me, not all pumps work for all people...so be aware of that! That's not something they tell you when you buy it...there's no "buyer beware".

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

sarasprings
06-09-2003, 06:18 PM
I got the Medela electric double pump because I was worked a few days a week last fall. I never used both at the same time -- only the main one. I thought it worked very well. A few months ago, I tried the Avent Isis and it was amazing. Let down was always immediate.

I would agree that the hand pump may be all you need -- as long as you aren't going to have location contrainsts (it was eaiser for me to pump with the electric if I was doing it in the car because it was more discreet).

heidi_timms
06-10-2003, 03:04 AM
I love my PIS! I got a deal on it at fjroberts.com for $169.99 plus $18 shipping! I just pump for the occasional bottle, but I think it's worth it because of the time it saves!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

AngelaS
06-10-2003, 06:05 AM
I'm a SAHM too and I have the manual Medela pump. It works really well for the occasional pump and I'm really glad I didn't invest any more $ for as little as it was used. :)

heytootsy
06-10-2003, 07:24 AM
I am also a SAHM, and I opted for the Purely Yours - Love it!!! I also tried the Isis and it just didn't work too well. I only tried it for the first month, though. I might have been just too darn uptight at the time. I should try it again!!!

Christine

chrissyhowie
06-10-2003, 07:57 AM
Christine,

Definitely try it again! I had some problems with mine at first so I had put it away, and was actually a little afraid to try it again (got mastitis after using it for the first time, but it was actually my poorly fitting bra's fault and NOT the pump -- mastitis is awful! x( ). I pulled it out again when I ran into a situation where I needed a manual, and now I love it!

emilyf
06-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Another vote for the Isis- I actually had a barely used pump in style from a friend but hated it- it was noisy, had to be plugged in, I felt like I was hooked up to this big machine. I bought an isis for travel and love it-it's way more comfortable, portable and works just as well (only down side being you can only do one side at a time) For a sahm it should be plenty, I rarely pump anyway, if he gets a bottle it's usually formula.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

RB1
06-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the advice about 2nd hand pumps. I really wasn't sure what the sticking point was for 2nd hand pumps. I think as long as I can see it be sanitized/boiled, I don't think it would bother me. What I had in mind was to possibly borrow my sister's manual pump, but when I heard the caution about 2nd hand pumps I wasn't sure what to think. I love being able to borrow baby things from her that I am not sure I will really use or like (sisters are great!). Your help is very much appreciated!

Rebecca
EDD 7/8/2003

RB1
06-10-2003, 10:10 AM
Thank you so much everyone! This question has been bothering me for months and I am so glad I could ask you all about it. I appreciate all your advice about all the different pumps. You really eased my mind about manual pumps - I guess I thought they were significantly less functional than the electric ones. Now, I'll try to keep a more open mind about the various options.

I also didn't realize how pumps may or may not work well from mom to mom. If I have trouble with the first pump I try, that will give me hope that I can do better if I try a different one.

THANK YOU!!

Rebecca
EDD 7/8/2003

beckyr88
06-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Rebecca--just one more vote for the Isis...I am a SAHM too, and only pump occasionally. It works well and DD takes the bottles without any problem (makes me feel a little useless!!!).

I think it is a good $45 investment.

Hope that helps!!

ps--hello from another Rebecca!!

stillplayswithbarbies
06-11-2003, 10:45 AM
Toys R Us and Babies R Us has a coupon for 15% off any Avent item, so now is the time to get one if you are planning to.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

jal
06-11-2003, 11:04 AM
Yet another vote for the Isis.

When we asked basically the same question, the advice we recieved was to purchase a hand pump first. Only after you find that you are using the pump frequently should you consider the purchase of an electric pump.

We got lucky and someone gave us an electric pump, but we already had purchased the Isis hand pump. When our son had to go on medication for reflux, the only way we could get him to take it was to feed it to him in a bottle mixed with EBM. Even though we had the electric pump, my wife usually just used the hand pump to get the couple of ounces needed to mix with the medicine. She found it more convenient because she wasn't tied to the "pumping station" and could pump directly into the bottle.

Another nice thing about the Isis is that it is designed to work with the Avent serilizer. While I must admit that $25-35 is expensive for what amounts to a specialized piece of tupperware, we have used the serilizer more than enough to make the price well worth it. The serilizer has been used as a substiture to boiling things like pasifiers, and rather than run the dish washer to get bottle clean, we just gave them a basic cleaning in the sink and just used the serilizer.