PDA

View Full Version : What sort of breads do you feed your baby?

momtoemma
06-09-2003, 09:53 PM
My daughter is 10 1/2 months old, and we are slowly progressing through various foods, but I have yet to try any breads. I don't know why I haven't given her any before...guess it didn't occur to me. Do you feed your children bagels or toast or any other types of breads? Do you toast them first or just break them into soft pieces? Should I put butter or anything else on the bread? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephanie

lukkykatt
06-09-2003, 11:08 PM
We are a carb junkie family and give any and all kinds of breads: whole wheat bread, cinnamon toast, bagels, hamburger rolls, etc. Sometimes toasted and sometimes not. Sometimes plain and sometimes with a little jelly, cream cheese, hummus, or soy nut butter.

I think your daughter will love whatever you try!

shall85296
06-11-2003, 12:50 PM
My 10 mos. old still only has 2 teeth, so we can only give him what he can gum & then swallow. But he loves bread - everything but wheat until he's one. Just be careful, I made the mistake of letting him gum on a piece of crust - and gratefully my mom was there to do the finger sweep and get out the hunk of it he was choking on. (Yes I lost it, cried, and begged my mother to never leave me). So - little bites are best!

sparkeze
06-11-2003, 09:23 PM
When I first started giving my DS bread I usually gave him little torn up pieces of whole wheat toast. He only had 2 teeth at the time but he didn't have a problem eating it. Unless they have molars they're not really chewing anyways, just holding it in their mouth until it melts enough to swallow.

I wouldn't put anything on the bread until they're really good at eating it though - now sometimes I put some tahini or some other kind of butter (soy, almond, peanut) and make him little sandwich strips. But when he first started eating bread he loved to stuff them into his mouth and after putting too much in he'd spit it out cause he couldn't swallow it. Don't start with wonder bread though! It gets all gummy and gobby, most processed white breads do. Besides that it's not really good for them anyways.

spu
06-12-2003, 08:02 AM
I give my 10m old babies Soy Pita. They love it. It has alot of protein for a breatd. We started with Soy Os and once they got the hang of using their fingers and biting the Os, I gave them pieces of pita. I haven't tried anything on it yet, but there's some great suggestions above that I'll try soon. We always have tahini in the fridge.

I haven't given them any other breads yet - not sure which ones to buy. The ones I've seen have alot of sugar or molasses in them. Is that ok?

Recently we started giving them crusty rolls while we're at restaurants and they surprised me with how well they could handle big pieces. They bit into them and hold the rest in their hands. (though, they also have 6 teeth which helps.)

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else