PDA

View Full Version : BF/Latch question -- is it okay to hear a tiny sucking sound?

Rhonda36
06-10-2003, 10:43 AM
When Little Man Spencer latches on and really gets cranking, I hear a sucking sound as if he doesn't have a good seal around the nipple. I've checked to make sure his lips are flanged and fix them if they aren't, but the sound persists.

Also, he often gets a little blister on the middle of his top lip. It doesn't seem to bother him, and goes away quickly.

Does all this indicate that our latch on isn't that great? We had a slow start to BFing with a prolonged hospital stay, and I used a sheild on one side for the two weeks we were there. But I haven't used the sheild since we've been home, and he seems to be getting plenty, lots of wet diapers, etc.

Any ideas?
Thanks, Rhonda

stillplayswithbarbies
06-10-2003, 11:29 AM
The blister is totally normal and can appear even when there is a good latch. I hated seeing that blister on my brand new perfect baby! But it eventually went away.

The sucking sound . . . is it sort of like a clicking sound? Like he is breaking the suction each time? If so, one thing that can cause it is a poor latch and can make your nipples sore.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/clicking-when-nursing.html

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

Rhonda36
06-10-2003, 04:34 PM
Karen,

I'm with you on the blister -- how awful to see on an otherwise perfect little being! Glad to hear it's not a problem.

And thanks for the link -- it totally describes the sound and what must be going on. Since I'm not having any discomfort, I think I'll stop worrying about it.

Rhonda and Spencer