PDA

View Full Version : Cause of Excessive Messy Diapers?

kclm
06-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Hello,

DS is 6 1/2 months and started solids about 3 weeks ago; he's otherwise exclusively bfed. About 2 weeks or so ago he began having a very excessive number of messy diapers--I mean, like 5, 6, 7 a day. They're not runny, but the amount is copious (forgive the gory details! :)). He doesn't seem ill in any other regard; although he did have a runny nose for a few days when this began, that cleared up long ago. Could it be the solid foods, and if so, why would it take his system so long to get used to that? Could I be overfeeding him? My doctor says there's no such thing as overfeeding, to give him as much as he'll eat--but he eats a lot! He gets two meals a day, and can eat 1/4 cup cereal plus 5 oz. fruit/vegetable each time. In fact, he often seems to want even more. I should mention that he was only in the 10th percentile for weight at his last checkup a couple of weeks ago, so we're glad that he does seem to really like solids.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Any ideas? I don't mind changing the diapers, but I'm concerned, especially because it's beginning to disrupt his sleep since he's pooping in the early a.m., which is not normal for him.

Thanks in advance!

Karen
Tad, 11/21/02

egoldber
06-10-2003, 07:35 PM
It is normal for it to take awhile for their little systems to get used to solids. A lot of people avoid rice cereal and bananas because they can be constipating, but they may just what the doctor ordered in your case! :) He will probably settle into a one or two poop a day routine soon.

And every baby is different. If he is eager for the food, then let him have at it. You may want to try making the food thicker so that he is getting a bit more texture. You may also want to try giving him three smaller meals as opposed to two larger ones.

HTH,

Karenn
06-10-2003, 09:56 PM
I saw a definite increase in poopy diapers when Colin started consuming a lot of solids. He went from pooping every 4-6 days to 3-4 times a day. And they were bigger poops. It's not quite as frequent as your DS, but it was still a big change. So just based on my own experience, I'd say it could be the solid food. Incidentally, (or maybe not) Colin was also around the 10th-25th percentile for weight. Not sure what to do about that morning poopy though- I could see how that would mess things up a bit!

(Every now and then, I sit back and listen to myself talk and am AMAZED at how easy it has become for me to discuss poop as if it were as ordinary as the weather! :D)