PDA

View Full Version : Medela Pump in Style versus Ameda Purely Yours

Gem
06-11-2003, 12:10 AM
I am at 33 weeks now, but have started to investigate breast pumps. I plan to return to work part-time and will only have 10-15 minutes at a time to pump so I have been looking at the electric dual pumps. I have narrowed it down to the Medela PIS or the Ameda Purely Yours. Any suggestions for one over the other?

chrissyhowie
06-11-2003, 06:38 AM
Both are excellent pumps. It really comes down to which one can you find a better deal on! For either brand, their newer models have definite improvements over their original designs.

For the Medela PIS, stick with their Traveller (backpack) or Companion (tote bag) designs. Both of these have been redesigned over the Original so that both the motor and the cooler bag can be removed from the carrying bag. The PIS comes with an attachment which can turn it into a manual pump (it does come in handy to have a manual pump for certain situations when you might lack an outlet).

For the Ameda PY, their newer model is a definite improvement as well. The motor is somewhat quieter, the AC adapter slightly smaller, and the "columns" on the motor casing to hold bottles has been removed which makes it MUCH more compact. The tote bag has also been redesigned with a removable cooler compartment. I think now there is also a backpack available. There is also an attachment available to turn it into a manual, but it does not come with the electric pump and has to be purchased separately.

Even if you get an older model of either, you'll be getting a really good pump. I have the PY, and my sister has the PIS. I also received the Medela tubing while in the hospital and have used it with their machines there so I can attest to the comfort of both brand's horns and efficiency of the pumping mechanisms.

Usually the PY for slightly less expensive than the PIS. I originally purchased a new model PY brand new and unopened on Ebay. I got tired of schlepping the pump back and forth from home to work, so I also got an older model PY without the tote on Ebay (got it opened but never used from a mom who had trouble with breastfeeding) which I leave at work stored in the tote bag.

Sorry this is a little long! I hope that helps!

Rachels
06-11-2003, 07:27 AM
I've used both. Here's my comparison:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID4/417.html

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

stillplayswithbarbies
06-11-2003, 10:43 AM
When I researched this, I chose the Ameda Purely Yours for the following reasons:

1. you can take just the pump body with you and you don't have to have their tote bag to make it work like you do with the Medela. (I called Medela and asked about this and was told it does not work without being plugged in through the bag)

2. Ameda is lighter. It weighs less than a pound. The Medela weighs about 7 pounds with the bag etc that you have to carry.

3. I found better deals on the Ameda. It was as low as $129 when I was looking back in March

I got the Ameda and I love it. It tucks right into my backpack with my computer etc and I don't have to carry a extra bag. When I go back full time, I plan to get extra horns etc so I only have to carry the pump body back and forth.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

Gem
06-13-2003, 05:49 PM
Thank you so much for your feedback. It was very helpful.

Gem
06-13-2003, 05:56 PM
>When I researched this, I chose the Ameda Purely Yours for
>the following reasons:
>
>1. you can take just the pump body with you and you don't
>have to have their tote bag to make it work like you do with
>the Medela. (I called Medela and asked about this and was
>told it does not work without being plugged in through the
>bag)
>
>2. Ameda is lighter. It weighs less than a pound. The
>Medela weighs about 7 pounds with the bag etc that you have
>to carry.
>
>3. I found better deals on the Ameda. It was as low as $129
>when I was looking back in March
>
>I got the Ameda and I love it. It tucks right into my
>backpack with my computer etc and I don't have to carry a
>extra bag. When I go back full time, I plan to get extra
>horns etc so I only have to carry the pump body back and
>forth.
>
>...Karen
>Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
>Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

Karen,

Can I ask where you found the Ameda pump for $129? Also what all came with it?

Thanks,
Michelle
due 7/31/03

stillplayswithbarbies
06-14-2003, 06:57 PM
It was here:

http://www.mothersmilkbreastfeeding.com/PYw_otote.html#

But the price has since gone up.

I got mine on eBay from this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20406&item=2329021977

That is the full set with the tote, and it is close to the price everyone else is selling just the pump for.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

mharling
06-15-2003, 12:33 AM
I don't know about the original, but I use the PIS Traveler without the bag all the time.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550